deploying cross platform apps

kbremner
New Contributor III

I purchased and app through ASM that is compatible with macOS and iOS. I want to deploy it to our macOS devices via Self Service but it only shows up as a Mobile Device App and not in the Computer side. How can I make it available to the computer side?

7 REPLIES 7

mschlosser
Contributor

it may help to ensure that you have redeemed copies for both the iOS and macOS versions of the app; after that it will show up for both device types and deployment could be scoped.

kbremner
New Contributor III

There isn't an option to redeem it for both iOS and macOS...for either really. The page in ASM says it is compatible with both and when I go into Jamf after the purchase, the app only shows up on the Device side in the Mobile Device Apps tab and if I go to Volume Purchasing in Settings, it only shows up there as an iOS app under Content as well.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

That could be why you don't see it in Jamf as a Mac app to deploy. If it's only showing up in ASM as an iOS application.

Are you sure it's an app that can run on both platforms natively?

kbremner
New Contributor III

It is supposed to...according to the developer and the App Store. It is a testing browser for PSAT so I think it's relatively new and put out by an academic testing company so I'm not surprised if there are issues. I'll try installing it directly from the App Store to see if I have any issues that way.

ncarvalheiro87
New Contributor II

I had that same issue when an app is listed for both macOS and iOS/iPadOS.

The workaround I did was to create a manual "mac app store" app entry and use the same information you get from the iOS/iPadOS app. The key importance is the Bundle Identifier and the App URL (https://apps.apple.com/au/app/.....)

This worked for me for a couple apps, especially on Apple Silicon devices that allow some iOS/iPadOS apps.

Hope this helps.

This worked for us as well to put an iPad app into Self Service for our Apple Silicon machines.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

anyone else seeing these apps not working recently?  I have a few pushed manually that are either only iPad or multi platform that we had working that now are not. If I look at the contents for the app the main process shows a line through it like old ppc apps.  Wondering if something in 14.4.1 disabled or is preventing this ability

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools