Deploying Winclone image after 9.2/Casper Admin upgrade

jhuhmann
Contributor

After our 9.2 upgrade from 8.7x I ran the upgrade the was requested by casper admin. It ran smoothly and I thought I had completed the whole upgrade process without any problems! I was wrong though.

The Casper Admin upgrade process zipped up our packages and winclone images. It's been a couple weeks since then and I just tried to restore my first dual-boot image. No success. I've got a call in to my account rep, but since I don't see anything on jamfnation about it I thought I'd post a note.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jhuhmann
Contributor

Didn't work. Removing the .zip extension from a file didn't make it not a zip file anymore. You need to unzip the file and restore the original un-messed with winclone image.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jhuhmann
Contributor

Just got an email from general support. The Casper Admin conversion shouldn't be zipping or adding a zip extension to the winclone images. They said the work around is to simply remove the .zip extension. I'm trying it now.

Defect# D-005603

jhuhmann
Contributor

Didn't work. Removing the .zip extension from a file didn't make it not a zip file anymore. You need to unzip the file and restore the original un-messed with winclone image.

monosodium
Contributor

This has also been happening with us. I have bad luck with the 9.x upgrade so far...

bajones
Contributor II

So to resolve this I just unzip the winclone image on my distribution point and trash the zipped version? Nothing needs to be done in Casper Admin?

jhuhmann
Contributor

@bajones - you might need to set the correct unzipped image in your CA workflows.

So I've found that the solution is a bit more complicated than I posted before. There are a couple of options for your solution at the moment.

If you use JDS to replicate and deploy your images you have to make them as packages following this workflow: http://twocanoes.com/winclone/support/deploy-boot-camp-as-a-package-using-winclone-pro-4

I think the situation is this, you can't restore a zipped .winclone image at the moment and the casper admin migration automatically zips them. However if you unzip the image on your storage you will be able to restore it again. But if you use the JDS you can't replicate a not zipped winclone image so you have to make the images as packages like above.

Jason_Cochran
New Contributor

Is this still the only solution to this problem?

jhuhmann
Contributor

Nope. The new solution is using winclone 4 pro, which will create a package that is deployable. The package contains the partitioning information for the ntfs partition along with the actual image. When you upload it through casper admin it will still zip it, but the zipped package still deploys.

kerouak
Valued Contributor

kerouak
Valued Contributor