solved....

10 REPLIES 10

oschools20
New Contributor

solved

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

Hey Oliver,

Managed means it is enrolled and can receive commands from the JSS. Supervised is a more powerful version of management where you get extra features like being able to send auto-update commands for the OS, send iCloud activation lock bypass commands etc.

To have an iOS device be supervised it has to either be enrolled via DEP (Apple's Device Enrollment Program) or be wiped and enrolled via Apple Configurator. (Though even with Apple Configurator there are still some supervised options which don't work like sending the auto-update OS command).

If you can you really want to get your machines enrolled into DEP with Apple. But that is a long topic you can find lots of posts and documentation about.

oschools20
New Contributor

solved...

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

What they MIGHT have been talking about was a combination of DEP and VPP device based app distribution. So basically the user gets a new iPad, DEP takes care of enrolling them after they enter their AD username and Password (if you enable that in your DEP workflow) and then you could distribute apps to devices instead of apple ids so they wouldn't need to use that.

That's my guess though without being there :)

oschools20
New Contributor

solved...

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@oszabo VPP Managed Distribution allows you to deploy without an Apple ID prompt.

oschools20
New Contributor

solved

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

jared_f
Valued Contributor

Also, you could make one Apple ID for your devices and allow free apps to be downloaded without an Apple ID (can be toggled in settings on the iPad). I would recommend deleting the App Store and distributing all apps via VPP codes and Self Service for distribution.

jared_f
Valued Contributor

I would supervise them because they are going to be fresh and once you have the configuration you want and you want to apply supervision you must wipe them fresh (no back up can be applied), supervise them, and re-enroll them. Also, if your teachers have iPads and want to use Casper Focus or Apple's Education app to lock students into apps, etc, the iPads must be supervised.