Device Descriptions?

leonwun
Contributor

Hey, I am currently cleaning up our JAMF Pro and freeing some licenses. For this, I was checking for devices that have not updated in the last 30 days.

I figured some of the devices that were offline for a long time are used as backup devices - that means it's fine that they're not turned on. I was wondering if it is possible to add this information as a description to those devices - so no one is wondering about them anymore. Is there any way to add descriptions to devices in JAMF? The only way I figured is changing the hostname - and that's not possible in my environment.

Best,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

You could put them in a static smart group.

OR

You could put them in a Smart Group with the Last Checkin and More Than X amount of days.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

You could put them in a static smart group.

OR

You could put them in a Smart Group with the Last Checkin and More Than X amount of days.

jared_f
Valued Contributor

@leonwun I would put the devices in their own prestage and prefix their names with BACKUP- ... then you can do a smart group and find devices w/ Display Name like BACKUP-

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I suggest creating a text Extension Attribute that displays on the General tab. You can use The MUT to populate the EA with your desired text. Then when looking at a device record you will see your description immediately.

leonwun
Contributor

Thank you all for your quick replies! As there seems to be no way to add descriptions directly I decided to just create a static group that is excluded from my filter (as @larry_barrett suggested).