Device locked by a MDM Tool

bootrec
Contributor

All our iPhones are managed with Jamf and my prestage enrollment profile has the setting enabled for "Prevent user from enabling Activation Lock". I sent an iPhone to Apple for diagnostic/repairs, and they sent it back right away with a letter saying the technicians couldn't run diagnostics because the device is locked by one of two programs; locked by Find My Iphone, or locked by a MDM tool and that I should temporarily unassign the device from the program.

I'm unclear on what I need to do... should I delete it from Jamf (and lose the data associated with it), or unassign it from Apple School/Business Manager, or something else?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@bootrec Deleting it from your Jamf Pro instance isn't sufficient. Since Apple may re-install the OS on any device you send in for diagnostic/repair they need it set to un-assigned in ASM/ABM so that when they do that it doesn't try to auto enroll. When you get the device back re-assign it to your Jamf Pro MDM and then re-enroll.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@bootrec Deleting it from your Jamf Pro instance isn't sufficient. Since Apple may re-install the OS on any device you send in for diagnostic/repair they need it set to un-assigned in ASM/ABM so that when they do that it doesn't try to auto enroll. When you get the device back re-assign it to your Jamf Pro MDM and then re-enroll.