Device Was Busy

d_logue
New Contributor II

I have one iPad that will not install one particular app from Self-Service. The command just shows Device was busy. Will try again. The iPad will install other apps from Self-Service without issue. Other iPads don't seem to have a problem with this app (Read Naturally-Live)

Interestingly, I had a similar issue with this same iPadApp combination in the past and I finally gave up and issued the student a different iPad. At that time, the error message was "The operation couldn’t be completed. (SSErrorDomain error 141.)"

Now this iPad will not install the Read Naturally app but is saying that the Device was busy.

I completely removed the device from JSS and re-enrolled it after wiping it, but the behavior is the same.

This iPad was a warranty exchange from Apple in Oct 2016. I don't know if that could somehow be causing this issue.

1 REPLY 1

d_logue
New Contributor II

Update

After about a half hour, command failed again with the SSErrorDomain error 141