DeviceInformation Command on iPads

cpdecker
Contributor III

Hey nation,

Anyone else see this command in their environment? Seems like some iPads get it, some don't--teacher iPads do, student iPads don't--but I can't figure out the difference between the two that's causing it. This command was not seen in our environment until a year or two ago. It sure is a lot of commands that need push notifications registered (10,000+ iPads), and I think it's slowing that process down. We frequently wait 5-10 minutes for push notifications from clear passcode commands etc. to be registered with Apple.

Any thoughts?

7870707666bd47efae95ff62c089097e

3 REPLIES 3

thejenbot
Contributor III

This is weird. Have you looked at https://yourJSSURL/logging.html for any clues? Mine have a bunch of errors (and I have two open cases with JAMF with right now trying to diagnose and correct), so that is causing slowness for me - but I'm not seeing the constant DeviceInformation commands like you are, my management history looks pretty normal. Might be worth reaching out to your "Buddy."

cpdecker
Contributor III

Our TAM suggested checking the Classes section of our JSS and sure enough, there was a ton of data left in there from when we tried to set up Casper Focus some time ago. The data transfer process from our student information system to Apple School Manager was never really fleshed out by Apple and we never got it sorted. We left the data in place on the JSS (my fault as I saw no easy way to remove it!) and this is what was causing some users to receive DeviceInformation commands, but not others. Our TAM sent along a script that cleared everything out. No more DeviceInformation commands and now our push notifications are fast! Thanks @thejenbot for your input!

thejenbot
Contributor III

nice, glad things are working well for you! now if only we could all be so lucky ;)