Disable Mission Control via MCX??

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

We are having major issues with multipul desktops here and was wondering what people are doing to disable Mission Control? MCX

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Can you give some background? Sounds like a nuke to take out a neighbor.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I think you have to disable Expose entirely, even though Apple doesn't refer to it under that name anymore. I found this when once looking at the options:

defaults write com.apple.dock mcx-expose-disabled -bool TRUE

That can of course be done as an Managed Preference.

I have never done it so I don't know what it really affects. You might find some useful functions are actually part of Mission Control/Expose and will no longer work as a result.

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Okay you know that in Lion they disabled spaces eh, and replaced it all with Mission Control. At the school I work with we have some savvy students that switch between 12 different desktops before the teacher has a chance to look. So wanted to disable it

Found what I need but just having a hard time getting it into JAMF...

com.apple.dock.plist

<dict> <key>mcx-expose-disabled</key> <true>
</dict>

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

think that i might have got it, checking now...

PS: I like my neighbors..

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Sometimes just talking about it makes you get it... thanks for the support everyone

UPDATE: Yeah all window management is gone now, fullscreen apps and reopen windows when logging back in is next

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Glad to have helped! haha :)

stlukesgrammar
New Contributor III

Hi there.

I was wondering if/how you managed to get this working through the JSS? I am trying to get mission control disabled for students, but enabled for staff.

Cheers!

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

If I had to take a guess he put this all in a Managed Preference (MCX) setting, set to User Level Enforced.