Disable TouchID on MacBook Air

spearsn
New Contributor II

9cebd9ca17c4447a83af3550961a6710
Hey everyone,

I'm setting up some MacBook Airs and I'd like to disable the TouchID window that comes up when a new student logs in for the first time. What is the best way to do that?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

KSibley
New Contributor III

Here ya go mate!

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2019/10/22/suppressing-the-touch-id-pop-up-window-with-a-profile-on-macos-catalina/

spearsn
New Contributor II

Thanks for your help KSibley. I used the PLIST as I'm not a big fan of mobileconfigs. Do you have the PLIST there in use on some of your Macs? I created the PLIST and scoped it out to 4 Macs to test and now I get this when I have a new user login (see attachment). If I click Try Again, then Continue it just skips it. Is this working as intended? I was hoping to not see this come up at all.

Thanks!
9c14241b351e4c4dabffbe8be4faa32a

KSibley
New Contributor III

Hi spearsn,

We don't have this turned off yet so I won't be much help. sorry. We are re-visiting touchID enablement/disablement with our Security team. In my opinion, touchID is actually more secure than just a password.

Worthy of note though for your situation, do you have 'Allow touchID' unchecked in your main Config Profile? If you have it checked, then it may be conflicting with your plist. I would check that out.

Also, if you are on Catalina, I would consider using the SkipTouchID mobileconfig as the best option.

Best of luck and please let me know how it is going!

Kevin

spearsn
New Contributor II

Hey Kevin,

Good call, so I checked out my Restrictions->Functionality tab and the check mark was there for Allow TouchID to unlock device. I've since tried it with and without the checkmark and I still get the Failed window on the TouchID during the Setup Assistant.

The MacBook Airs have Mojave 10.14.6 installed

Neil

walkeri3rd
New Contributor III

KSibley - https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2019/10/22/suppressing-the-touch-id-pop-up-window-with-a-profile-on-macos-catalina/ Does not work! :-(