Distribute Method of iOS Apps by Static Group

JCCL
New Contributor III

I am new to Jamf and was hoping to find a way to do the following or ideas on alternatives. I would like to set the distribution method of an app based on static device groups.

For example, say I have two static groups: staff iPads and student iPads. I want to have one app but two different install methods based on group membership. Let's say the app is Google Classroom.

For devices in the static group "staff iPads" I would like to have the distribution method for Google Classroom as "made available in self-service" and not have the app automatically installed so the staff member does not have Google Classroom on their iPad unless they want it there.

For devices in the static group "student iPads" I would like to have the distribution method for Google Classroom as install automatically because the students will not have access to the self-service portal.

Is something like this possible? Thank you in advance!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

Hello.
This is possible.

What you would want to do is manually add the app so that it shows up two times in your Mobile Device Apps catalog.

To do so click New on the top right, then select App Store app or apps purchased in volume and select Next.
In the next window in the Search window type the name of the app and select Next.
From the list of apps, select the one you want by pressing Add button.

Then scope as you would like.
Don't forget to click on the Managed Distribution tab of the app property and select the checkbox Assign Content Purchased in Volume.

You may use static groups, there is nothing wrong with that but I do recommend to use smart groups.
With static, you will have to add or remove the device from the group.

You can as an example have one PreStage Enrollment for student devices and another PreStage Enrollment for staff devices.
Then create a smart group with criteria such as Enrollment Method: PreStage enrollment is "Student Devices" or however you call that. Then scope the app to that.

When I want to deploy an app in more than one way I use this method:
app name
app name (auto install)
in the app name. This way it shows as such in the device inventory. When a tech is troubleshooting an issue they know if the app should install automatically or via Self Service.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have.
Best,
Adam

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

Hello.
This is possible.

What you would want to do is manually add the app so that it shows up two times in your Mobile Device Apps catalog.

To do so click New on the top right, then select App Store app or apps purchased in volume and select Next.
In the next window in the Search window type the name of the app and select Next.
From the list of apps, select the one you want by pressing Add button.

Then scope as you would like.
Don't forget to click on the Managed Distribution tab of the app property and select the checkbox Assign Content Purchased in Volume.

You may use static groups, there is nothing wrong with that but I do recommend to use smart groups.
With static, you will have to add or remove the device from the group.

You can as an example have one PreStage Enrollment for student devices and another PreStage Enrollment for staff devices.
Then create a smart group with criteria such as Enrollment Method: PreStage enrollment is "Student Devices" or however you call that. Then scope the app to that.

When I want to deploy an app in more than one way I use this method:
app name
app name (auto install)
in the app name. This way it shows as such in the device inventory. When a tech is troubleshooting an issue they know if the app should install automatically or via Self Service.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have.
Best,
Adam

JCCL
New Contributor III

Awesome thanks!!