Dock applications all ? (Question marks)

adam01
New Contributor

Hi,

After upgrading a suite of iMacs from Big Sur to Sonoma, the dock now has ? instead of applications. They do not work when clicked on.

I have read some posts on here but nothing has helped me understand where the problem is.

To be upfront I am new to Jamf Pro and this system was already setup before I looked at it.

I have gone to Settings, Computer management, Dock items. In there are entries for the dock items. Each one is currently in the same format and here is Google Chrome as an example:

file://localhost/Applications/Google%20Chrome.app/

Is this entry correct? Is there something else that controls that Dock that I am missing?

Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
16 REPLIES 16

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Items in your dock are basically shortcuts/aliases. The references to the app they point two is broken, usually from the app being uninstalled. If its just one device, remove the items from the dock and put new copies back. If you are managing dock items, double check the paths in the policy to make sure nothing got moved.

adam01
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. We are only wanting to use a managed dock as we need to make sure every user has the same.

The apps are 100% installed as we can run them by searching in spotlight.

What is the best method for checking the path? Dragging them to terminal? Also does this output not need to be modified for Jamf? For example if I do this with PowerPoint then the output is:

/Applications/Microsoft\ PowerPoint.app

But wouldn't Jamf want a %20 in the space?

Adam

adam01
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. We are only wanting to use a managed dock as we need to make sure every user has the same.

The apps are 100% installed as we can run them by searching in spotlight.

What is the best method for checking the path? Dragging them to terminal? Also does this output not need to be modified for Jamf? For example if I do this with PowerPoint then the output is:

/Applications/Microsoft\ PowerPoint.app

But wouldn't Jamf want a %20 in place of the space? Would it need file: at the start? I am more looking for advice on what Jamf Pro wants when managing devices on Sonoma. The old entry was file:///Applications/Google%20Chrome.app/ and this worked for Big Sur. I added 'localhost' as I saw a post about it on this forum.

Adam

sayr01
Contributor

H

should be like... 

/Applications/Google Chrome.app 

adam01
New Contributor

Thank you for letting me know, we will try that.

adam01
New Contributor

Also just to confirm, the localhost, file:// and the %20 are all no longer needed. Did that change at some point in a Jamf Pro update?

Adam

sayr01
Contributor

yes just try and let us know

/Applications/Microsoft PowerPoint.app

adam01
New Contributor

Thanks but they are still showing with ? I tried changing the Google Chrome one. Screenshot attached.

Also just to mention again that this is in Settings/Computer Management/Dock Items. Is there anywhere else that a dock setting or policy needs to be set for the dock to display from Jamf?

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 13.07.35.png

you need to use configuration profile. there is an option for dock.

sayr01
Contributor

sayr01_0-1700574605064.png

adam01
New Contributor

Thanks for that. There is already a configuration profile in place for the dock. The only thing is that there is no way of selecting items such as Google Chrome as apps to add to the dock. There are only system apps on the drop downs (screenshot attached).Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 14.16.40.png

sayr01_0-1700576831720.png

adam01
New Contributor

Thanks. I did try that previously but it added it as a globe icon and to the right of the apps section of the dock.

Also if that does work, how do we remove the ? Where are they coming from if not the settings section?

Adam

sayr01
Contributor

you only need the above settings for dock.  get rid of any other you might have set up.  also make sure you actually have the app on the client machine.  

adam01
New Contributor

Thanks for your help as that has worked! It is showing differently to how it used to (all the apps on the right side) but at least they are there - so thanks so much for that!

The ? are still there but we are trying to find out where they are coming from.

Adam

parker01
New Contributor

Just stumbled across this thread. This is how Google Chrome is set up for us and it works perfect. 

file:///Applications/Google%20Chrome.app/