DockBuilder and Catalina -- disable notifications?

cwwirth
New Contributor III

So after wasting a day trying various options to get a customized Dock for users in Catalina, I've settled on DockBuilder. It works well enough, but when a user logs in and it runs, they get a notification asking if they want to get notifications from DockBuilder. Is there a way to prevent this? I want DockBuilder to be as invisible to users as possible.

(And in case you're wondering, I can't use a config profile to configure the Dock because I need to allow users to make changes afterwards.)

9 REPLIES 9

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

@cwwirth Screenshot it if you don’t mind. I’ve not messed around with it for a while if you are referring to this DockBuilder.

cwwirth
New Contributor III

Yep, it's your DockBuilder ;-)

Here's what I'm getting. Happens once for every user who logs in. I'm also seeing, intermittently, where DockBuilder will do its thing but the stock Catalina apps (Maps, Photos, News, Podcasts and TV) will remain -- I'm guessing this means DockBuilder is simply running too early.

38cdcd2736e34d0e964f09304d3736e3

FritzsCorner
Contributor III

@cwwirth You can use ProfileCreator to manage these settings. There is a write-up here on how to do it:

https://mrmacintosh.com/how-to-manage-catalinas-new-application-notifications-with-a-profile/

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

Okay I will need to look at it. It doesn’t use Notification Center so it is odd that it prompts. @FritzsCorner is right about ProfileCreator but I’d like to see if I can eliminate this or at least see why it does that. If it is not preventable I can at least create the profile and add that to the repo with instructions.

cwwirth
New Contributor III

@FritzsCorner thanks for that...using the talkingmoose script to build a profile works perfectly.

@ryan.ball I'm coming across a problem where DockBuilder isn't setting the breadcrumb prefs file for the users, so it runs every time someone logs in and rebuilds their Dock. I tried changing $HOME/ in the build script's breadcrumb and log paths to ~/ but that didn't make a difference.

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

@cwwirth if you don’t mind please create an issue in the github repository and I can take a look after work hours as this is a personal project.

cwwirth
New Contributor III

@ryan.ball you got it -- thanks!

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

@cwwirth fixed!

cwwirth
New Contributor III

Yep, testing it now and it works great. Thanks for the quick fix!