Does macOS notify users of DEP if previously enrolled with QuickAdd?

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Since I can't prove a negative, I'm asking here for input: we would like to assign our whole fleet of QuickAdd-enrolled Macs to our Jamf Pro server in ABM, and then to a pre-stage in Jamf Pro, so that they can be enrolled via DEP after their next wipe without needing to manually assign them each time.

In some of my testing a couple years ago, I recall that this would lead to the user being prompted to enroll in management even though the device was already managed. I'd like to avoid this since it would be confusing to users. Am I mistaken? Will macOS prompt to enroll automatically after assignment, or only if the profiles command is run?

3 REPLIES 3

walt
Contributor III

Depends if you assign it to a Jamf Prestage after adding them into ABM.

One option you can do is assign them to ABM as you would like, but do not assign them to a Jamf Prestage, which would prevent the DEP notification from showing, once they're assigned a prestage and see they weren't DEP enrolled it would prompt them. Now unless the user has the flexibility to re-image when they want without creating a ticket or any other intervention, then it may pose a problem if you don't know who or when they will reimage and the device is no set to a prestage.

we have had manual enrolled devices that are DEP eligible, we set up a policy to "re-enroll" them, nothing really changes, no apps are reinstalled, just profiles as we use DEPnotify for initial enrollment but does not retrigger for something like this.

now with Big Sur showing manual enrolled devices as supervised, I don't know if it would trigger them or not, have not tested that scenario.

patgmac
Contributor III

We have a lot of machines that get UIE'ed that should have gone DEP. They do not get a DEP nag AFAIK. There was a certain OS version that did result in them getting nagged (specific versions of High Sierra IIRC) but Apple "fixed" that.

So you should be able to safely add them to a prestage without the user getting nagged, and the next time they get wiped they will do a DEP enrollment as expected.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Thanks, I think High Sierra was about the time I saw that, so that tracks. I haven't been able to reproduce that in testing recently.