Domain Bound Macs UNC Issue?

jared_f
Valued Contributor

Hello All,

I am looking for any advise because I am out of ide
6256de55661248628baeda285715cc53

ff26324c332647dfb671b22381f449f6

aec25780a20642afa8c5ef297a25f818
as. All of our Macs are domain bound and sporadically experience an issue not allowing logins. It is mainly occurring on lab machines. It seemed disabling the following fixed the issue:
Use UNC path from Active Directory to derive network home location Network protocol to be used: smb:

Wonderful -- but disabling that has created a new issue. We rely heavily on scripts to mount network homes. It seemed to break the "SSO Like" feature. Whenever a user would login to a lab machine their network home would be mounted and a SymLink created so they could easily save.

We are moving away from storing mobile home directories on machines, so it is imperative that the "H Drive" works.

Any help is much appreciated! Here are some screenshots for background. We are also binding via configuration profile -- but have excluded that from being the issue as it is happening on non-Jamf Macs. I am out of ideas and any help is much appreciated :)

2 REPLIES 2

SteveC
New Contributor III

In my experience MacOS won't allow the user to login if the home folder does not exist or the user does not have the correct permissions to it (and the Use UNC path option is ticked). It gives a non-descript 'user couldn't login' message.

JKingsnorth
Contributor

We create a mobile account for all users. It caches their credentials when a local home directory is made. If you do not create a mobile account they will not be able to login off-site.
2b04fe3c79d943ec84c7a0a8043a3444

The best way to test this is to check the box manually on a test computer, login as a new user on that computer, disconnect from all networks and then log back in again. If you can login with the new user account created on the computer then the issue is fixed.