Download app on IOS via AppleTV

LaSagesse
New Contributor III

Hello,
we don't allow AppStore at school, students download applications from the selfService. Netflix is ​​not on the list of allowed apps, but students are able to download the app from an Apple TV. Do you know this function and how to deactivate it? thank you

6 REPLIES 6

khowe
New Contributor II

I suspect they aren't actually installing the app if you have "Allow use of iTunes Store (supervised only)" deselected in your configuration profile. They could just be creating a web clip to the Netflix web page which looks like an app. If you want to stop Netflix, you may need to block it in your filters or firewalls.

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

Can it be that they sign in to the Apple TV with a personal Apple ID (are signed to it on the iPad too) and leverage the feature to auto install the app on another device?

LaSagesse
New Contributor III

Thanks for yours answers. The app is install, this not a webclip, i think they actually use the same Apple ID on AppleTV and iPad. Do you have any ideas ? Thank you

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

This will give you a little more background:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202180

Take a look at the following restriction:
Allow installing apps using Apple Configurator and iTunes (iOS 9 or later) /Allow installing apps using App Store (iOS 5–iOS 8 on...
and if they are clever
Allow trusting new enterprise app authors

as a start.

nigelmarrion
Contributor

We discovered what I think is the same bug back in November. Apple acknowledged it and have told us it will be resolved "in a future release of iPadOS". We have removed the AppleTV app from iPads in the interim.

tdilossi
Contributor

If you already haven't found it yet, you can block access to the apple TV app on the iPads as well as apple arcade app in your do not allow some apps sections of your restrictions profile. We had the same experience here at our school, and after asking a few kids one finally explained how they were getting the apps.