DT pic restriction overwrites Casper installing software screen

znilsson
Contributor II

This isn't a world breaker or anything, but I was wondering if anybody else had run into this. I have a desktop picture restriction set up in a config profile, designed to set a desktop pic with a specific image. But having that restriction in place interferes with the Casper Imaging process in terms of the black screen, or curtain, that comes up and says "Casper is finishing installing the software" after it reboots from your imaging drive to the internal hard drive the first time.

So in my case, it just loads to the desktop and sits there as everything installs in the background, so the issue is that there's no feedback as to what Casper is doing. Like I said, not a world breaker, but it can be confusing if you forget what stage of the process you're on.

Is there any way of getting around this while keeping the desktop pic restriction in place?

3 REPLIES 3

thoule
Valued Contributor II

That's unlikely your desktop pic causing that. What's happening is the the JAMF agent is being reloaded which kills the curtain. Are you using an older version of Casper Imaging? That would cause it to be upgraded and reloaded. I'm trying to track down an issue where if a local user account is added via casper imaging, the curtain is lost. Try looking at your log files to see when the jamf agent is reloaded - that'll help find the cause.

znilsson
Contributor II

@thoule Oh interesting, I thought the restriction was causing it. I'm using Casper Imaging 9.82. If adding a local account might cause it, maybe that's what's causing it on my end too. I'm adding a local admin account during the imaging process via a package.

thoule
Valued Contributor II

I add a local admin using Casper Imaging gui. I've no idea what's killing it for you - you need to look at /var/log/jamf.log and see what's in there. Or you can strip down packages/scripts out of your image and see if the problem goes away... Sorry, no way I can diagnose it from here.