Duplication MAC Address Policy

bog
New Contributor

Is there a way to create a policy that can find duplicate MAC Addresses or computer names? I just found 2 instances where two different computers were in my inventory twice.

2 REPLIES 2

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Sounds to me like all you want to do is modify your inventory display preferences (Settings -> Inventory Options -> Inventory Display Preferences) so that your MAC address is shown when you do a search of your inventory.

Then, do an empty search of the inventory to return everything and sort by your MAC address field. It should be fairly obvious from there which ones are duplicates.

In my experience, I've never seen a duplicate MAC address that's legitimate. When I've seen them, it's because a machine was imaged with a USB Ethernet device that wasn't registered as a removable MAC address. All manner of odd things happen when this occurs.

bog
New Contributor

I have the MAC setup in inventory already that is how I noticed the issue. These were older eMacs that were duplicated. They had both the same computer number and MAC. I guess I was wondering if there was a way to make a smart group not really a policy.