Dynamically integrate other tools with Munki using Facter

jaharmi
Contributor

I’ve been thinking for quite some time about how to integrate commonly-used tools, like DeployStudio or JAMF Casper, with Munki. I think one way to do that is with a third tool, Puppet Labs’ Facter, which provides a framework for the re-use of inventory data. Read more about this idea: http://www.jaharmi.com/node/468.

2 REPLIES 2

loceee
Contributor

I find this an interesting concept and approach indeed! Would be keen to know if anyone has been doing it. I toyed around using policies, running scripts scoped to groups .. that would then change munki client parameters. And having ext attributes report on munki's client parameters as well.

I didn't like that administration was split between two tools and two portals, but I am very keen to see this explored further none the less. Munki is the BEST way to install software, and DeployStudio is the BEST way to image.

Sometimes I have to weigh it up against integration and ease of administration (and training other admins!).. hats off to anyone that can make all these tools hum together!

jaharmi
Contributor

It does split things, but I think this splits along the lines where the tasks and zones of control make sense for the various tools. I think would allow a decision tree of what goes where, along with a repeatable process for setting up deployments.

Any time two or more tools are integrated, I think decisions have to be made about what goes where, because there’s always some degree of overlap. There are also corresponding mismatches between fundamental design and the ways each tool accomplishes its assigned tasks that make for difficulty in integrating them.