eduroam configuration profile

pandrum
New Contributor III

I've been playing around with deploying a eduroam profile for our university wireless network.

I've downloaded our university profile from here: https://cat.eduroam.org and then uploaded it to jamf. The profile contains settings for the wireless network and some certificates.

I've had luck deploying the profile as a computer level configuration profile. The user can then simply connect to the wireless network, and is then prompted for their credentials.

Now is there any downside for deploying the profile as a computer level or should I opt for user level instead?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

allanp81
Valued Contributor

@pandrum good idea! never thought of doing this. I don't see that it would make any difference unless someone else can point to a reason why one way is better/more suitable than the other.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

allanp81
Valued Contributor

@pandrum good idea! never thought of doing this. I don't see that it would make any difference unless someone else can point to a reason why one way is better/more suitable than the other.

cprimero
New Contributor III

This really depends on your environment and work flow. Over half of our macs are bounded to Active Directory. The benefit of having our eduroam profile as computer level is that there is a network connection at the login screen for any new user to log on to a multi-user mac such as lab machines. Also if a user has changed their password they can still log in since it is doing the AD check right at login vs having the user log in with their old password > then get net connection > and then the password sync happens at next login. You also have the benefit of having the comp level profile on an admin account if there is one.

grecopj
Contributor

Hi All,

I've downloaded the our eduroam profile from https://cat.eduroam.org. Created a new configuration profile by just clicking upload and selecting the downloaded profile. I assign it to an iPad to install via self service but it fails when I go to Self Service to install. Any idea of what I am missing? Ughhh. though it would be this easy.

It does say that the profile is read only because it is signed but I think that is supposed to be.

Thanks