El Capitan and the latest MacBook Pro USB C's

tdmac
New Contributor

Does anyone know if there will be any issue with building and El Capitan image on the latest MacBook Pros that were released today? I realize that no one has them in hand yet, but I already have users requesting them. We can't rollout Sierra yet due to 3rd party Infosec software limitations. Any thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5

jared_f
Valued Contributor

I am thinking it will be an issue with models with the touch bar but, I am not sure about the basic model.

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

I think it's new hardware all over because of the screen and ports. I'd expect you'll need to press hard on your 3rd party infosec vendors to do their job and provide you with Sierra compatible software.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

New hardware has historically meant they are compatible with he OS version that is currently out and newer. So I doubt that El Cap will work.

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

"Expect issues"

Apple only supports the current shipping OS on new hardware, you're going to be lacking drivers for things as basic as the USB ports (which in this case, are also your charging ports).

Look
Valued Contributor III

Brand new chipset/baseboard
Brand new processor generation
Brand new graphics chip generation
Brand new UI hardware (even the base model has a new trackpad)
Brand new port (thunderbolt 3 / USB C combo)

El Capitan is very unlikely to support one or more if not all of these elements, I would fully expect Sierra only here.