El Capitan client updates from Yosemite (10.10.5) Server

cddwyer
Contributor

Trying to use Apple's built in software update server on Yosemite to serve software updates to 10.11 clients on the local network.

So far I stopped the software update service, added:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Darwin/15
RewriteRule ^/index.sucatalog$ http://%{HTTP_HOST}/cgi-bin/Software UpdateServerGetCatalog?/index-11.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

to the <IfModule mod_rewrite.c> section of /Library/Server/Software Update/Config/swupd.conf

also added:

<string>index-11.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog</string>

to the OtherCatalogs area of /Library/Server/Software Update/Config/swupd.plist

and restarted the swupdate service. I have also rebooted the server but still not seeing any 10.11 updates.

Also, server app seems to revert these config/plist files after modifying them and restarting the swupdate service.

Any help would be appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

OS X SUS is really too much of a struggle. I use https://github.com/wdas/reposado these days, or more specifically the JAMF NetSUS appliance as it only takes ~15 mins to setup!

If OS X is a must, I was under the impression the server had to be equivalent to or greater than the updates you're serving?

cddwyer
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for your advice. Will be setting up JamfNetSUS in the new year but wanted to carry on using OS X Server in the mean time. In regards to server/client OS versions, in the past OS X Server SU only serves equivalent or below versions -until- you modify the above mentioned files and restart the software update service then in the past it has started listing those updates. I have done it successfully with a 10.8 server serving unto 10.10.5 but now have a 10.10 server that won't catalog 10.11 updates. Thanks, Christian

spalmer
Contributor III

As of version 5 Server.app is OS independent. You can install it on Yosemite and serve out El Capitan updates. No hacks needed.

If you purchased Server 4 via the Mac App Store then version 5 is a free update.