El Capitan DEP Enrollments take 20 minutes to download first packages

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

We're successfully using DEP to enroll Macs in our JSS. This worked fine for months using Macs that come preinstalled with Yosemite.

Now, as we're receiving Macs that have El Capitan preinstalled, once they install the JSS MDM profile, it takes 20 minutes for them to start receiving their first policies / packages / config profiles.

Has anyone seen this with regards to Macs preinstalled with El Capitan?

7 REPLIES 7

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Are any of the policies in question set up with a trigger of Enrollment Complete? If not, that might explain why they aren't running right away. I don't use DEP, but my understanding is, if you set up your "setup" policies with that trigger, then when the Mac completes enrollment into your JSS, it should fire off those policies right away.

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

yes, i have one policy that pretty much installs everything and it's triggered for Enrollment Complete, but this is also affecting configuration profiles as well. They're pushed almost instantly once the MDM Profile is installed on Yosemite but they take 20 minutes just like package install policy on El Capitan.

bmarks
Contributor II

I assume your JSS is 9.81 for El Capitan compatibility?

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

This is a current defect.
Expect a fix coming in 9.82

A work around is to restart the machine after setup assistant is completed, it should then do the enrollment soon after the restart.

udopigorsch
New Contributor

This is a current defect.
Expect a fix coming in 9.82

This is a bummer for us, currently just affecting ~50 machines/day that get El Capitan. But it'll become a serious issue once we touch the 6k-8k Macs we've planned to to update/upgrade with the help of DEP.

Any plans when 9.82 is available?

Matt_Sim
New Contributor II

<Redacted>

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

@udopigorsch Some time in December is likely I hear.