Enable Plugin's in Safari

doooglasss
New Contributor II

I'm attempting to deploy the Okta plugin for both Chrome & Safari. If anyone has any advice or methods to do this - advice is happily accepted!

Safari:

Downloaded the application from the App store. Created a composer package with a post install script. The issue is to get the extension to work it seems that I have to enable it through the Safari Preferences pane.

I started reading about the Safari PLIST and realized it was going to be inside a user folder for MacOS 10.14. I copied this file before enabling the extension manually then again after and I do not see a line entry that states that it is enabling the Okta plugin.

PLIST location: /Users/$USER/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Any advice where to enable a plugin/extension for Safari?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I don't believe it's possible to enable Safari plug-ins in an automated/scripted fashion. Apple made the process pretty secure so it has to be done by the user directly. At least that's my understanding.

JustDeWon
Contributor III

@doooglasss I'm with @mm2270 on that.. I did however, run across this... Not sure this will get you what you're looking for, but maybe it'll put you on the right path..

lilylily
New Contributor II

Pushing the .mobileconfig template that @JustDeWon posted does successfully insert the Okta extension into the com.apple.Safari.plist, however, in Safari 12 it doesn't enable the Okta plugin. It's very frustrating that there's not a clear way to programmatically enable this plugin!

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Do you have AppleCare support? I've opened some tickets with them regarding some stuff that are "user privacy" controlled that need to be managed by a corp environment (especially around Safari settings). The more tickets they get, the more likely they will take action.

Any luck with getting movement from Apple on enabling extensions?

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Not really.  And based on how they've treated the OS in the last few years, I'd be surprised if we see them.