Enable Wireless after disableAirport.sh?

Rayfield
New Contributor III

I've been trying to re-enable the wireless after disabling the wireless on a couple of our labs.

For reference: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProductFile.html?id=135&fid=443

I've also copied the scripts details at the bottom in case anyone is not familiar with it.

I created a script to move the disabled extension back to the extensions folder but it still didn't seem to work. I then went in and physically moved the "IO80211Family" from the disabled extensions folder back to where it was in the /System/Library/Extensions/ folder.

None of the above seemed to work with specific computer that I've been trying this stuff on, Does anyone have a script already created for this or that can point me in the right direction? I'd rather not have to reimage a computer each time I need to re-enable the wireless on a computer that I've disabled for whatever reason.

We're also running OSX 10.9.4

Thanks in advance.

#!/bin/sh
####################################################################################################
#
# Copyright (c) 2010, JAMF Software, LLC.  All rights reserved.
#
#       Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
#       modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
#               * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
#                 notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
#               * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
#                 notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
#                 documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
#               * Neither the name of the JAMF Software, LLC nor the
#                 names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products
#                 derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
#
#       THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY JAMF SOFTWARE, LLC "AS IS" AND ANY
#       EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
#       WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
#       DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL JAMF SOFTWARE, LLC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
#       DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
#       (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
#       LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
#       ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
#       (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
#       SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
#
####################################################################################################
#
# SUPPORT FOR THIS PROGRAM
#
#       This program is distributed "as is" by JAMF Software, LLC's Resource Kit team. For more
#       information or support for the Resource Kit, please utilize the following resources:
#
#               http://list.jamfsoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/resourcekit
#
#               http://www.jamfsoftware.com/support/resource-kit
#
#       Please reference our SLA for information regarding support of this application:
#
#               http://www.jamfsoftware.com/support/resource-kit-sla
#
#
# ABOUT THIS PROGRAM
#
# NAME
#   disableAirport.sh -- Disable the airport drivers.
#
# SYNOPSIS
#   sudo disableAirport.sh
#   sudo disableAirport.sh <targetVolume> <computerName> <currentUsername>
#
# DESCRIPTION
#   This script disables the airport drivers, thereby disabling all functionality of the airport.
#   After running this script, the airport drivers will be moved to:
#
#       /Library/Application Support/JAMF/DisabledExtensions/
#
#   This way, the airport could be re-enabled in the future.  After running this script, the machine
#   will need to be rebooted for the settings to take effect if the script was run against a booted
#   target volume.
#
#
# HISTORY
#
#   Version: 1.2
#
#   - Created by Nick Amundsen on August 6th, 2008
#   - Modified by Nick Amundsen on June 11th, 2009
#   - Modified by Nick Amundsen on January 21st, 2010
#
#
# DEFINE VARIABLES & READ IN PARAMETERS
#

# HARDCODED VALUE FOR "targetVolume" IS SET HERE
targetVolume=""

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 1 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "USERNAME"
if [ "$1" != "" ] && [ "$targetVolume" == "" ];then
    targetVolume=$1
fi

# 
# SCRIPT CONTENTS - DO NOT MODIFY BELOW THIS LINE
#

OS=`/usr/bin/defaults read /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion ProductVersion | awk '{print substr($1,1,4)}'`

echo "Disabling the Airport Drivers on target volume $targetVolume..."

if [ -d "$targetVolume/Library/Application Support/JAMF/DisabledExtensions/" ]; then
    if [[ "$OS" < "10.6" ]]; then
        #This extension doesn't exist in 10.6.
        /bin/mv "$targetVolume/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAir"* "$targetVolume/Library/Application Support/JAMF/DisabledExtensions/"
    fi
    /bin/mv "$targetVolume/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family"* "$targetVolume/Library/Application Support/JAMF/DisabledExtensions/"
else
    /bin/mkdir -p "$targetVolume/Library/Application Support/JAMF/DisabledExtensions/"
    /bin/mv "$targetVolume/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family"* "$targetVolume/Library/Application Support/JAMF/DisabledExtensions/"
    if [[ "$OS" < "10.6" ]]; then
        #This extension doesn't exist in 10.6.
        /bin/mv "$targetVolume/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAir"* "$targetVolume/Library/Application Support/JAMF/DisabledExtensions/"
    fi
fi
2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Totally silly question, but you did reboot the Mac or Macs in question after moving the extension back in, right? Those would only be loaded at boot time, so a full reboot would be necessary. I'm assuming you know that and did that, but just want to check.

Other than that, I would look at the specific permissions on the files and folders that were moved- maybe compare them to a working Mac with the same OS version to see if there are differences. OS X can be picky and if permissions are really off on it, it may load. You can try running a full permissions repair on the Mac, since the OS should recognize incorrect permissions and repair them if needed.

Lastly, when in doubt, check Console for errors around the time the Mac was booted to see if anything shows up that may point to the issue.

ChZyTxn
New Contributor
New Contributor

I had this situation arise just a couple weeks ago. I don't know if it will be applicable to your situation but we can most definitely give it a shot.

I located an article here: http://www.compunoodle.com/wifi-no-hardware-installed-fix-for-os-x-lion/ ( There is a sub article in here as well that will need to be accessed http://cvad-mac.narod.ru/index/0-4 )

Some of the information it mentions may not reflect "exactly" what you are seeing, but it did help. I would run through this and see how things sit.