Enforcing wifi connection

kbremner
New Contributor III

The idea behind the script is to check to see if a user connects to the Guest network. If they do, it disconnects them, configures the correct network and deletes the Guest from the priority list. This works okay. The problem is when the device is hardwired to the network via ethernet or thunderbolt to ethernet. Since they are still connected to a network, they talk to the JSS and the policy runs so I'm trying to get the script to check if they have a hard connection and abort if they do.'

#!/bin/bash

# VARIABLES

# Get the wireless network service (wservice)
wservice=`networksetup -listallnetworkservices | grep -Ei '(Wi-Fi|AirPort)'`
# Get the wireless hardware port (whwport)
whwport=`networksetup -listallhardwareports | awk "/$wservice/,/Ethernet Address/" | awk 'NR==2' | cut -d " " -f 2`
# Find the ALL network hardware ports (hwports)
hwports=`networksetup -listallhardwareports | awk '/Hardware Port: Wi-Fi/,/Ethernet/' | awk 'NR==2' | cut -d " " -f 2`
# Get the wireless network (wirelessnw)
wirelessnw=`networksetup -getairportnetwork $hwports | cut -d " " -f 4`
# Get the SSID
SSID=`/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/airport -I
| grep ' SSID:' | cut -d ':' -f 2 | tr -d ' '`
# Get the Wi-Fi device name
wifiDevice=`networksetup -listallhardwareports | awk '/Wi-Fi/{getline; print $2}'`

# HARD CODED VALUES

# Work SSID
WorkSSID="Good Network"

# Authentication to use eg WPA2 Enterprise
Auth=WPA2

# Index for SSID
Index=0

# SCRIPT CONTENTS
# Set the preferred wireless network to WorkSSID
networksetup -addpreferredwirelessnetworkatindex $whwport $WorkSSID $Index $Auth

# Turn the wirless hardware port on
networksetup -setairportpower $whwport on

# Get the wireless network (wirelessnw)
wirelessnw=`networksetup -getairportnetwork $hwports | cut -d " " -f 4`

# Block  wireless networks

case $SSID in
"Guest")

# Add regular network settings and remove the guest network
networksetup -setairportnetwork $whwport "Good Network" "passcode"
networksetup -setairportpower $whwport off
networksetup -removepreferredwirelessnetwork $whwport "Guest"

# Display message to user to connect to regular wifi network
HEAD="Access Denied"
MSG="Connecting to  Guest is not authorized. Your WiFi settings have been updated."

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType hud -heading "$HEAD" -description "$MSG" -button1 "Close" -lockHUD -icon /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/GenericNetworkIcon.icns

;;
esac

# Turn the wireless hardware port on
networksetup -setairportpower $whwport on

fi

exit 0

This script works unless the device is hardwired to the network. I've been working on two workarounds. The first is to put the following code at the beginning of the Script Contents section.

if != ifconfig $wifiDevice | grep inet; #supposed to return if the wifi is NOT the active interface and exit the script if so
    then echo "Currently connected to Ethernet"
exit 0

else
    #If wifi is the active interface, the script continues on where it sets the preferred wireless network to "WorkSSID"

My issue here has been getting ifconfig to be "not wifi" so it will pick up any connection that isn't the wifi.

The second workaround I've been trying (mostly because I haven't figured out the former) is the assign the result of the ifconfig command to a variable and then compare that with the $wifiDevice variable like this.

wifiDevice=`networksetup -listallhardwareports | awk '/Wi-Fi/{getline; print $2}'`
activeWifi=ifconfig $wifiDevice | grep inet;

echo $wifiDevice
echo $activeWifi

So here, the first echo shows the device name for the wifi but the second is blank.

2 REPLIES 2

joshuasee
Contributor III

I didn't find a better solution for getting what is or isn't WiFI when I was writing my version of this script. For compiled languages there is likely an API you could consult, but not a script. As for $activeWifi, I don't check whether the prohibited WiFi network is in use or not since it is one institutional devices aren't supposed to be on, period. If you're joined to it you get nagged and eventually booted off, even if your network connection is via ethernet. Giving you a chance to make sure you have some other connection is why you get nagged before getting booted.

kbremner
New Contributor III

What I think would really help here would be to go a slightly different route. If I run this command to get the network port being actively used:

networksetup -listallhardwareports | grep -C1 $(route get default | grep interface | awk '{print $2}')

I get something like this for output:

Hardware Port: Ethernet
Device: en0
Ethernet Address: a8:60:b6:03:0a:97

How can I pull the device name, i.e. en0 and assign it to a variable?