Error installing Pages Calc and Keynote after IOS 11 update

jssmrkmz
New Contributor

Hello,
we have following failure sinnce updating to IOS 11.
The devices are iPad AIR 2 fresh enrolled.

Install App - Pages 3.3 Device does not meet app minimum requirements Today at 10:26 Cancel Install App - Keynote 3.3 Device does not meet app minimum requirements Today at 10:26 Cancel Install App - Numbers 3.3 Device does not meet app minimum requirements Today at 10:26

Does somebody knows what is wrong?
Greetings Jörg Hoos

14 REPLIES 14

AErwin
New Contributor III

I just started seeing this error as well. We're not using iOS 11 yet. I did just recently upgrade Jamf to 9.101.

In my case the errors are showing up on some devices in Jamf even though the apps are already installed and functioning. If I cancel the failed commands and do an inventory update - the errors return.

The error is with Pages, Numbers and Keynote for me too.

thejenbot
Contributor III

We're in the same boat as @AErwin. For us it appears limited to the iPad 5th Generation devices that came with these apps "pre-installed". It's only those three apps because iMovie and Garage Band didn't get an update, otherwise we'd have 5 failed commands per device.

I'm trying to figure out what caused this - it's part of a case I'm working on with jamf. We have these apps set to be available in Self Service, but when I look back in history, commands went out to auto-install them at the time of enrollment. Additionally, we don't have apps set to automatically update, so our app version in the JSS is still set at 3.2. The command went out anyway - to install 3.2, even though it's already there.

Not sure why all of a sudden a device running 10.3.2 or 10.3.3 would not be compatible with app version 3.2 (which is already on the device), or why we now have almost 3000 failed commands sitting out there because of this, but if I find anything out I will let you know.

joelande
Contributor

I have also seen these errors

AErwin
New Contributor III

I'm not having any luck yet resolving these errors. I did see that the iWork apps now require iOS 11. So I took some testing devices, installed iOS 11. Installed pages, keynote and numbers from self service. They installed with no issues and function. However, jamf shows 3 failed commands for the device. "Device does not meet app minimum requirements." If I cancel the commands they all reappear after every inventory update. They even reappear if the apps are deleted from the device.

The other thing I noticed during this test is that the device is showing 3.2 installed for all three apps. This is an iPad Mini 3 with fresh iOS 11 install. It should be fine for 3.3. Instead, it's installing 3.2 and throwing errors in Jamf.

I used a network outside of our caching servers for this test. I also refreshed VPP content for these apps prior to the test.

hfricke
New Contributor

Same exact problem here. Have reached out to support and no response. These 3 apps are vital to the teaching and learning in our school on an hourly basis. On the kids end, they click to open the app and it immediately crashes. These 3 apps have become useless over the past 2 days.

dokihara
New Contributor

Same problem here. Apps crashing after JSS pushed an update.

Also replicated apps fail to install on a clean iOS10 device. Says it is not compatible.

Apps install on iOS11 device.

AErwin
New Contributor III

Turns out I messed up and grabbed the wrong iPad for my test. It still had 10.3.3 on it. I just updated it to 11.0.1. After the update and a couple of inventory updates in jamf, the errors cleared out and the iPad started automatically updating keynote, pages and numbers. That was interesting because I don't have automatic app updates turned on, but I'm ok with it in this case.

So it looks like if I update my fleet to iOS11, the errors should clear out.

dokihara
New Contributor

Shouldn't it be able to install Pages 3.2 on an iOS10 iPad though? Why is it failing?

tdilossi
Contributor

Did you update your apps to the highest version in your Mobile apps if you are using VPP? If you don't put the highest version in your app catalog, iOS 11 devices will not be able to download. Also, make sure that your self service app is up to date as well. (if you are using self service to deliver your apps)

thejenbot
Contributor III

Regarding this issue (from @camden.webster at jamf) - "I also realized that the 3.2 version number we're seeing in the Install App command is just being pulled from the app catalog entry - but that's likely not the version it's trying to install. The JSS says it's installing that version because our app catalog entry is set up with that version, but it's probably trying to install 3.3 because that's what is being pulled from the app store. Apple doesn't let us install older versions of apps unfortunately, the app will automatically grab whatever the latest version is as soon as that Install App command goes out."

thejenbot
Contributor III

Got an update on this from @camden.webster - We've actually determined a more specific cause for this behavior regarding the failed commands, so I apologize for providing an incorrect explanation earlier. It turns out that this behavior is isolated to just 5th-gen iPads (iPad Airs) from what we can tell, only when assigning new licenses to the device. Expected behavior for Apple apps on devices running an incompatible OS is that they install the last compatible version, which should still be available for them in the App Store. I've attached an example of the prompt that appears if I were to manually install Keynote from my purchase history on an iPhone 5 running iOS 10.

We've opened a product issue on our end for this behavior as PI-004512, but have also opened an AppleCare ticket with Apple to further investigate this issue. We can reproduce this behavior outside of the JSS by signing into the App Store on a 5th-gen iPad using an Apple ID that does not have Pages, Numbers, Keynote, etc in its purchase history. When we attempt to download any of the applications we are not given the prompt displayed in the attached screenshot and the download fails.b4f1462c4b98401e9b0713238b572800

driggs
New Contributor

I don't think this is limited to iPad Air / 5th Gen. We are seeing the same behavior and Failed Commands with iPad 2s' on iOS 9.3.5 & iPad 4s' running iOS 10.3.3. Seems to be a false positive as the previous versions of those 3 apps still install regardless.

scoudeville
New Contributor

Hello,

Does anyone have an update from Jamf or Apple?
I have the same issue with iPad Air on 10.x.

Thank you in advance.

mmacpherson
New Contributor II

Any update on this? It would be a nice feature to allow previous versions of apps to be installed for the older generations of ipads.