Extension Attribute

Asifahmed
New Contributor III

Hello All,

I just wanted to know, if we can use touch command in Extension Attribute if needed, I know better it to avoid as we are collecting information from computer but technically is it ok to use touch command in my EA's body?

4 REPLIES 4

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

its a shell script. you can do what-ever you like..  but.. as they are scoped to all devices.. dev as a script, test, then make as an EA

Asifahmed
New Contributor III

Yes, I checked by writing an EA with a touch command in EA body, it worked successfully what it was supposed to do. Issue is that when I ran recon it took longer time as it is creating a file. For Second it was less as file already created before. BTW thanks for the info.

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

all depends what you want to engineer.. every recon triggers the EA.. so you may want to look at a policy.. and every EA slows down the recon.. 

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

Generally speaking you dont want to make any actions with an Extension Attribute, just read. However, nothing is stopping you from putting whatever you want in the shell script. Just be aware, if something breaks in the script it will stop devices from checking in as they cant finish a recon.