Failed to install Splash Buddy pkg

dpinai
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I am having issues getting SB to launch properly, seems like the installation is failing for an unknown reason. I simply added a new application to my workflow, updated the the io plist with the new app name + .png file name and ran the buildpkg.sh to produce the the latest SB pkg and uploaded to JAMF PRO. During run time, I get the following error

Mon Mar 02 22:25:25 macprov’s MacBook Pro jamf[1536]: Executing Policy 05 - SplashBuddy
Mon Mar 02 22:25:27 macprov's MacBook Pro jamf[1536]: Installing SplashBuddyInstaller-202003022207.pkg...
Mon Mar 02 22:25:30 macprov's MacBook Pro jamf[1536]: Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is SplashBuddyInstaller-202003022207
installer: Installing at base path /
installer: The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.). My previous file works just fine, i tried starting over from scratch, dowloading the SB master etc, I also modifying the existing SB pkg in Composer to add the new app entry but yet no luck, any help or ideas would be great!

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9

morsepacific
New Contributor III

Did you resolve this @dpinai ?
I'm having the exact same issue. I've been building SplashBuddy in various iterations for days now for my DEP process.
I cleared all the files out to start building an alternate for my User Initiated Enrollment workflow, and now the package won't install.

At first I thought its because I moved the DEP master to a file server and then copied the files back (maybe some permissions got screwed up) but I've just downloaded and used a brand new master set of files, and the same issue occurs.

Baffled.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I noticed it too a month or so ago when I went to update it. I was unable to install the newer version but, the original pkg's worked fine. I didn't have time to troubleshoot, so I left the original ones in place.

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

Switch to DEPNotify. Much easier to use, especially with the script provided by Jamf Pro Services.

morsepacific
New Contributor III

I ended up moving to Octory - much improved!

daveyboy
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I faced this issue a few months ago. Rename it if you still need/want the log.

sudo rm /var/log/jamf.log

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

@daveyboy why would removing the jamf log do anything?

LangStefan
New Contributor III

you found any solution for that? I see this issue just on catalina...seems like some permissions are missing while creating the pkg

Brett_Cox
New Contributor III

I am seeing the same issue when building the package in Catalina. Moved it to a 10.14.6 machine and the package installs and deploys correctly. Will probably move to another solution as SplashBuddy hasn't seen an update in over a year.

hrhnick
New Contributor III

David Yoon is working on a forked version of SplashBuddy, see https://github.com/davidyoondrums/SplashBuddy

HCS also has one of the best deployment/setup guides, see: https://hcsonline.com/images/PDFs/Jamf_Splashbuddy.pdf