Fast User Switching

IT-Chris
New Contributor III

Looks like the login payload for fast user Switching doesn't work on new mac OS 11 and one else have that issue?

31 REPLIES 31

tzeilstra
New Contributor III

Seeing the same thing here - It works inasmuch as it grey out the option and doesn't allow the user to change the setting but it doesn't actually set Fast User Switching to be enabled.

burdett
Contributor II

I'm seeing the same, It's grey out the option and doesn't allow the user to change the setting and it doesn't actually set Fast User Switching to be enabled. I was able to add a device as an exception to the configuration policy, and then set Fast User Switching and then remove the exception. Not a solution but a workaround if you need this on.

IT-Chris
New Contributor III

not sure if you created a case yet. but if you can that will tell jamf to find a fix. thanks!

aalbright
New Contributor II

I'm also seeing this issue, if there's not an open case yet I'll open one.

inoland
New Contributor II

Has anyone seen a fix for this?

F_Utzt
New Contributor

I've just opened a support case on this issue.

jamison_smith
New Contributor

Anyone find a workaround for this?

jbjorn
New Contributor II

Same issue -- any resolution to this yet?

glpi-ios
Contributor III

Same here....

jamison_smith
New Contributor

Same

isThisThing0n
Contributor

Ditto

jlramos
New Contributor II

Add me to the list...

IT-Chris
New Contributor III

it seems like they moved the payload from the login payload to a globalpreferences payload. that still doesn't exist in jamf.

Keep waiting I guess.

skentfive9
New Contributor II

Mid-June 2021 and still seeing this issue.

sreed
New Contributor

It's currently a product issue is what we got told by support. I guess more pressure needs applying to actually get a fix.

"PI-009059 - Computers with macOS 11 or later fail to respect the Enable Fast User Switching setting in the Login Window payload of a computer configuration profile."

djennings
New Contributor

Here also

glpi-ios
Contributor III

Me too...

raplanalp
New Contributor

Here as well

vinny83
New Contributor III

Ditto

MikaelDez
Contributor

Same issue here. I need this option for my labs, hopefully they find a fix soon.

etrantha
New Contributor

add another lab to the list that needs this option back. 

bsmith93
New Contributor II

+1 more org with labs that need a fix for this.

raymondap
Contributor

Also needed here. Surprising to find it's been a lingering issue for so long.

mmardini13
New Contributor

Does anybody have a working script to enable fast user switching in the menu bar?

opus-nbo
New Contributor

Here some commands that DONT work:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist MultipleSessionEnabled -bool true
defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.controlcenter.plist UserSwitcher -int 18
defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist menuExtras -array-add '<string>/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/User.menu</string>'

BusterCasey
New Contributor II

Any news to fix this issue?

Thanks

glpi-ios
Contributor III

Not to my knowledge

MikaelDez
Contributor

At the very least, I'm glad I'm not suffering alone here.

glpi-ios
Contributor III

😂

burdett
Contributor II
If you Lock the Screen first, then you can select switch users, this worked in Monterey.  
Interestingly, I can connect with our pulse secure VPN to our on premises network with a device bound to AD,  locked the screen, VPN connection stays up and I can login in with a AD credentials and a mobil account is created and i'm logged in to the account.

I did find a fast user switching setting for the menu bar;
system preferences-> Dock & Menu Bar -> Fast User Switching -> Show in Menu Bar
system preferences-> Dock & Menu Bar -> Fast User Switching -> Show in Control Center

I still have to Exclude the device from the configuration policy that uses the option login window to turn on fast user switching before I could set these. And I had to repeat this for each user on the device and then remove the device exclusion of the configuration profile.

Not a practical work around. For me, locking the screen will have to be good enough for now.  If you'er participating in apple seed submit an issue in the feedback assistant black hole, maybe they will address this.   It might be a JAMF issue if there is a MDM command to set Fast User Switching in Menu Bar.

MikaelDez
Contributor

Hey all: https://www.kevinmcox.com/2022/04/adventures-in-fast-user-switching-on-macos-monterey/

When I run the commands manually - it works. Pushing a script with Jamf failed, haven't been able to test why. Using Monterey with M1 iMacs