[feature request] scheduled tasks with Casper Remote & import names to smart group from text files

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

There have been many times now, where I need to install certain packages on individual computers that do not fit into a smart group, or maybe have too many members for me to want to manually add to a smart group. I would like Casper Remote to track machine by JSS ID rather than IP address, and have the ability to check a little box that says install at next reboot if a machine is unreachable or offline.

I need to push things out like digital text books to select students in select classes. I would like the ability for instructors to send me a list of names, or asset tags and then I can just import that plain text list into Casper Remote (or the JSS even) and say install this package and then if the client is not online schedule to install at next reboot.

As far as I can tell this is not possible at the moment. I would also like to create smart groups by importing a list of computer names or what not. This would allow department heads to email me a list of computers instead of me trying to hunt them down in user space, and it would make my life a whole lot easier.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

3 REPLIES 3

Not applicable

Hey Tom-

I have a procedure for importing a list of users or workstations into
"static" groups and then deploy to them. Would that help or does it have to
be a "smart group"?

Thx
Jon

*Jonathan H. Smith *| DDS: Deployment & Packaging | Genentech Informatics

(p): (650) 302-6985 | (e): jhsmith at gene.com | (w): gene.com

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

I need them to be smart groups so they can update so I can do checks to see what packages are installed and what not

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Jon,

Just curious, would this procedure use the "computer name"? Or can we use serial number or MAC address? The reason I ask, we get requests all the time to push stuff to a group of computers, and the group is provided to us in an Excel or text file. If your procedure can work with serial numbers or MAC addresses, it would be very helpful. If it uses computer name, then it won't help us since users can (and often do) change their computer names (this is going to change over time of course). :)

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com