FEU/FUT for software deployment

Jenncat
New Contributor III

I'm in the process of deploying several software applications to a lab with new mac minis.  The policy with the application file .dmg is failing.  Do I need to check the FUT or FEU options?   I just started using jamf this summer so I apologize ...

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4

duanemaas
New Contributor
New Contributor

You only need FUT and FEU if you have settings that need to be applied differently for each users. This typically sets different preferences or items in the user's Application Support  or preference folders. These settings would all be in the /Users folder which are settings for each user instead of the /Library folder which settings are global for all users 

Hope this helps

steve_summers
Contributor III

Hey @Jenncat .  It's been my experience that .dmg files need to be opened on a local computer first because they contain (most likely) the .pkg file you need to distribute.  

Give that a try.  Open the .dmg file on your Mac, then see if inside it there is a .pkg file.  Pull that one out (you can drag and drop it right onto your desktop) and then upload that file to your Jamf Pro server and use it in your policy.  

If there IS a .pkg file in the .dmg file, you can use the same policy you created, just substitute the package for the dmg you're already pushing, flush the logs on the clients who've already ran it and the policy should run on theirs.  

Good luck. 

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Which apps are you trying to install? If the vendor provided you with a .dmg file, try what @steve_summers mentioned as they is probably a .pkg file inside the .dmg. Upload the package to Jamf admin and update the policy with this said package.

Also, an older video on Composer packaging, if you need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbQksUb6Pg8

Ismere
Contributor

Hi,
my experience with .dmg files is that they work IF you put them into the composer of Jamf and recreate the .dmg with it.
At this point i always wonder if i really need a .dmg or if creating a .pkg makes more sense for the current programm xD