Filevault - Boot Partition Encrypted

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

How would you go about finding out why casper is only reporting: Boot Partition Encrypted vs All Partitions Encrypted, when I go into the inventory, I only see one drive and it says 100% encrypted.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester
9 REPLIES 9

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

FV1 vs FV2?

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

I've seen this in cases where an external disk was also plugged into the system while it was inventoried. I've never seen this occur when there was only one local disk. Do you have network drives that mount? I wonder if there was a mounted network disk which may make FileVault report "boot disk encrypted" instead and a network disk wouldn't show up in the "hard drives" section in the Casper inventory.

Services
New Contributor

Bootcamp or Grub loader installed? Just started evaling casper this last week and the first thing I deployed was filevault 2 to a set of test machines. The one with bootcamp came back as "Boot Partition Encrypted". Since it will not be able to of course encrypt the other partition I would assume it comes by as only the boot partition was encrypted and not the rest.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor
Bootcamp or Grub loader installed? Just started evaling casper this last week and the first thing I deployed was filevault 2 to a set of test machines. The one with bootcamp came back as "Boot Partition Encrypted". Since it will not be able to of course encrypt the other partition I would assume it comes by as only the boot partition was encrypted and not the rest.

'

This is a great point. Technically speaking, FV2 is a volume-based encryption tool, not full disk. However in most cases there is only 1 volume anyway...

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

Found it to be the users that had external HD'S plugged in.. Even though the drives were encrypted casper reported it as boot partition encrypted, instead of all..

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I suggest you build your own Extension Attribute (or grab one out there already) to report on FileVault 2 status. Don't rely on the one built into Casper. its hard to pull any actual report on the state of encryption with it.

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

To follow up on that, I've got an extension attribute available here:

https://github.com/rtrouton/rtrouton_scripts/tree/master/rtrouton_scripts/filevault_2_encryption_che...

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

Awesome thanks Rich! Great blog by the way

nkalister
Valued Contributor

ooooh, that's a NICE fv2 ea! thanks, rich!!