FileZilla Pro Mac Apps - App Store Package

DMH2000
Contributor

I'm kind of confused here about this version of FileZilla in Jamf.  I 'purchased' about 300 "FileZilla Pro - FTP and Cloud" licenses. I created the available FileZilla app in Self Service from the Computers - Mac Apps - App Store. It installed fine and works, as I transferred files just fine. But I don't see anywhere that it is restricted nor where one would enter a subscription, it did not notify me anywhere that it is a trial.  Does it act like the free app?  It says it is a free app in the Jamf setup (see picture). 

In the app blurb it says "Subscribe to FileZilla Pro to begin your 7 days free trial." If I don't subscribe does it just act like the free app?

I did build a FileZilla package and had the free app available, but wanted something that would update the app, as many of the Jamf Mac apps do. 

Any thoughts are appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It has been 8 days since installation of FileZilla Pro from Jamf's Mac App. I see no 'Trial Ended', just see it as a free version. 

DMH2000_0-1722522614215.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

FileZilla is a free app. You can upgrade to pro to add these features:

jamf42_0-1721838436931.png

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Are you trying to use the free or paid pro version? I usually grab the update and package.

I don't see this in the Jamf Installer, but we could probably submit a request to get Filezilla added to the Jamf Mac Apps.

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client

Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 12.47.39 PM.png

DMH2000
Contributor

@obi-k Like I said, I have packaged and updated the free standalone client in the past from FileZilla. I'm tired of updating and want JAMF Apps to do it all.  I want to use the free version.  @jamf-42 I think has the answer, it is free unless you subscribe to it, which then gives you extra features.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

You packaged the free version but deployed the Pro version. Which is why I was asking. 

@DMH2000 Like I said, send Jamf a note to add Filezilla Jamf Apps.

@obi-k It is an App Store app under Jamf Mac Apps. I didn't just package the free version.  I said in the past, I packaged it.  I just tested the Pro version and it is acting like the free version. It may be a good idea to ask for a Jamf App, I like those more, with the information it shows.

It has been 8 days since installation of FileZilla Pro from Jamf's Mac App. I see no 'Trial Ended', just see it as a free version. 

DMH2000_0-1722522614215.png

mikeh
Contributor II

It is unlikely that there will ever be a Jamf App for a Mac App Store app. Jamf can't simply repackage a Mac App Store app because of things like embedded receipts that exist in apps distributed through the Mac App Store, which include the purchase info, associated AppleID used to purchase, etc.

I'll note that FileZilla Pro in the Mac App Store depends on In-App Purchases, which cannot be managed properly through Apple Business Manager or Apple School Manager, nor in Jamf. The FileZilla Project would need to make a version of FileZilla Pro, with the in-app purchase built into the app, through ABM/ASM, in order for you to distribute a functional FileZilla Pro app to your clients through Jamf, or any other MDM for that matter.