Focus Issue

randy_mathisen
New Contributor

Manage a high school iPad program. We use Focus and it is working amazing for us. Ran into to the following problem:

Student is focused into an app, lost internet connection, unable to un-focus, because the iPad Air is focused cannot turn the Wifi back on.

I have tried everything I can think of, any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jbourdon_stale
New Contributor

You might want to have one of these handy for iPads:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/10/video-connect-your-ipad-to-the-internet-via-ethernet-cable-with-this-easy-hack/

iPads won't connect to wifi until they've been unlocked if it has been restarted, but this will allow it to get a network connection in that state. I use it all the time at my school—it's a real life saver.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Johnny_Kim
Contributor II

I haven't used Focus except for when I took the CMA class but have you or are you able to power down and power back on?

When you say "lost internet connection", did it lose the SSID?

jbourdon_stale
New Contributor

You might want to have one of these handy for iPads:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/10/video-connect-your-ipad-to-the-internet-via-ethernet-cable-with-this-easy-hack/

iPads won't connect to wifi until they've been unlocked if it has been restarted, but this will allow it to get a network connection in that state. I use it all the time at my school—it's a real life saver.

randy_mathisen
New Contributor

Thanks we even have one of these! I should have thought of it. Thanks.

amenard
New Contributor II

Does "connect-your-ipad-to-the-internet-via-ethernet" still work with iOS 8?

Lewandowski
New Contributor III

We've run into this issue. If the student has a passcode set on his/her device, you can sometimes get wifi to turn back on through the use of control center. The iPad doesn't refocus until it is unlocked. If you can access control center, we've had success turning wifi off and back on.

gramsm
New Contributor

A better solution to being locked into the App and no wifi for Casper Focus: Put the iPad in DFU mode by turning the iPad off completely, holding the home button in as you plug the iPad into the computer: then just update the device through iTunes. If you know the passcode lock when update is complete enter that into the device and then the iPad will let you pick the wireless you want and unlock with no issues as long as the commands are still being sent.

Good Luck!