FontAgent Pro 5 (FAP Server client) distribution

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

A few of the groups we support use FontAgent Pro 5 (server/client), so we're looking at packaging it for distribution. A quick peek at the Client for FAP Server.pkg raises no flags, it's actually a pretty clean package. So wrapping it shouldn't be a problem. Pushed to logged off computer without a problem.

I'm fairly certain they'll ask us to package/deploy preconfigured to point to the FAP Server so I'm hoping someone here can enlighten us on what files (or commands?) need to be put into our wrapper so when we deploy it the users will not be prompted for the FAP Server address (FQDN).

How is the serial number handled for client/server environments...or is it one of those "don't worry about it, the server is the only thing that needs to be licensed" jobbies?

Also, is the Client for FAP Server.pkg intelligent enough to look for existing Creative Suite and QuarkXPress applications so it can install the required Plug-In or Xtension? The preupgrade/preinstall/postinstall/postupgrade scripts in Client for FAP Server.pkg only seem to shut down the running process and remove old versions. Is this something the users will need to handle (oy, I hope not as not all users are admins).

TIA
Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Wish I could help you Don. I worked with FontAgent Pro Client and Server some years ago, but it was before my Casper Suite using days, so no real automated deployment. This was version 3 I believe and I touched a little on version 4. I seem to recall that I was able to bake a registered version into my crude imaging setup at the time, so I would say its probably possible to deploy a license file as part of your package. Not sure about the server credentials and AD link.
Unfortunately, actual memories of what I did are very fuzzy. My memory isn't what it once was. I'm lucky I remember what I ate for lunch yesterday. (Hmm, was it a burger?)

As for the CS plug-ins, I can say that FontAgent Pro has always been pretty good at recognizing the installed applications and injecting the plug-ins into the proper locations, as long as Adobe CS and/or QXP are installed before the FAP Client of course. I had made the mistake once or thrice of doing the installs in the reverse order. Good news is, I think there is a separate pkg in the download for just the plug-ins that I was able to push via ARD at the time that would fix that.

Good luck. Insider Software are good folks. I always preferred their solution to the Extensis offerings myself. They just seemed to care more about their product and providing a good experience.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

PS, InsiderSoftware doesn't appear to have any scripting guidelines, other than AppleScript...cough...choke...gag...sorry, I'm allergic to AppleScript (you know, that GUI kind'a scripting that you've got to touch as a user...ewww).

Anyone pushing settings, either with the PKG or as a post deployment script?

Don

--

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

I got in touch with Insider Software's engineering group. Once we have this sorted out they'll put up a KB and we'll post the link. Looking for:

1. Wrap their PKG (which is very clean)
  2. Inject serial number
  3. Inject server FQDN
  4. Suppress dialogs, registration, EULA, Welcome screen, etc.
  5. Install Plug-ins/Xtensions

To infinity and beyond!

Don

--

mm2270

Wish I could help you Don. I worked with FontAgent Pro Client and Server some years ago, but it was before my Casper Suite using days, so no real automated deployment. This was version 3 I believe and I touched a little on version 4. I seem to recall that I was able to bake a registered version into my crude imaging setup at the time, so I would say its probably possible to deploy a license file as part of your package. Not sure about the server credentials and AD link.
Unfortunately, actual memories of what I did are very fuzzy. My memory isn't what it once was. I'm lucky I remember what I ate for lunch yesterday. (Hmm, was it a burger?)

As for the CS plug-ins, I can say that FontAgent Pro has always been pretty good at recognizing the installed applications and injecting the plug-ins into the proper locations, as long as Adobe CS and/or QXP are installed before the FAP Client of course. I had made the mistake once or thrice of doing the installs in the reverse order. Good news is, I think there is a separate pkg in the download for just the plug-ins that I was able to push via ARD at the time that would fix that.

Good luck. Insider Software are good folks. I always preferred their solution to the Extensis offerings myself. They just seemed to care more about their product and providing a good experience.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

The engineer confirmed the FAP5 installer does not have logic to install Plug-Ins/Xtensions during the actual install. First launch brings up a dialog box, which means we'll end up capturing and pushing the Plug-Ins as a separate policy (scoped carefully to ensure compatibility with the CS/Quark apps).

The engineer also took a feature request, the server FQDN setting is at the user level (huh?!), they're going to look at lifting to the Computer level (/Library). :)

Waiting for a conference call to go over the rest of the details.

Thanks,
Don

--

mm2270

That's funny. I don't seem to recall it prompting at first run. Maybe they had to change the behavior since I last used it? Yeah, that must be it :)
I seem to recall it doing that at the install phase, though it may have prompted for confirmation as I was installing it. As I said, memories...

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

I was surprised too, if it's possible to build in logic in the GUI to install the Plug-Ins/Xtensions, why not add the logic into the scripts within the package? I'm thinking they may not want to impose these decisions on the users; although it is entirely possible to install them as inactive and have the user activate it on first launch of Illustrator/InDesign/QuarkXPress (which would not require admin rights and would be per-user <g>).

This is going on our feature request too...for the call later.

Don

--

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

OK, so the solution ended up being:

1. Wrap existing FAP5 installer PKG.

2. Include pre-installation script with logic to find/delete FAP5 plug-ins in CS6 folders (Illustrator, InDesign & Photoshop)

3. Post-installation script to install FAP5 PKG, install new FAP5 plug-ins for CS6, set server/selectedServer, serialize.

Waiting for word back from their engineers on how to suppress the nonsensical dialog boxes like welcome screen, EULA, registration, etc...then we'll be golden.

Don

--

gskibum
Contributor III

Have you made any progress or have any updates with this donmontalvo?

I'm about to deploy an FAP Server 5 & FAP Client 6 environment. I do notice they have added some kind of scripting support in FAP 6. Built in to the app is a service (or whatever you want to call it) named Workflow Center.

It looks promising, but quite possible still not very deployment friendly.

https://insidersoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202355940-What-is-the-Workflow-Center-

external image link

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@gskibum To be honest, after that deployment, we've been dealing with UTS3/4. The InsiderSoftware guys didn't seem to think enterprise deployment was important enough for them to devote some dev/engineer time to. So we flipped to their competitor (and it's been smooth sailing).

--

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Let's see if Insider Software ever grew up...ticket opened:

I need to talk to someone about deploying your Font Agent Pro 8 package (which we will not need to alter), along with some way of configuring it to point to the server (FQDN). In the past you guys haven't been very helpful. The client is a VERY high profile multimedia company. I would LOVE to get your help. But I will NOT hesitate to recommend your competitor if you guys ignore my request AGAIN. Don Montalvo <phoneNumber>
--

gskibum
Contributor III

I have recently all but given up on Insider. They are definitely not interested in making our jobs easier, and in fact seem determined to make our jobs more difficult. I'm about to start getting pricing for competitive cross-grades to the competitor.

There was a long spell when I could not simply go to their web site and download the latest versions of the software. It was necessary to submit a help desk ticket to access the software. This is poking a stick in my eye as far as I'm concerned. Although they have made downloads available through the FAQ system.

Have you evaluated version 8? It's a huge change from earlier versions.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

I got a phone call after I sent Insider Software a link to my post. ;) This is for FontAgent 8...

Software updates:

$ sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.insidersoftware.v8.fontagent SUCheckAtStartup -bool TRUE
$ defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.insidersoftware.v8.fontagent SUCheckAtStartup

Font Server URL:

$ sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/InsiderSoftware/v8/com.insidersoftware.v8.common fontServer -string host.domain.com
$ defaults read /Library/Preferences/InsiderSoftware/v8/com.insidersoftware.v8.common fontServer
host.domain.com

Username:

$ sudo defaults write /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/InsiderSoftware/v8/com.insidersoftware.v8.common emailAddress -string example@example.com
$ defaults read /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/InsiderSoftware/v8/com.insidersoftware.v8.common emailAddress
example@example.com

Lastly...apparently there is no EULA to suppress.

--