Force Install

harsha
New Contributor III

Hi Team,

1. If the user didn't install the software update via jamf pro(self service), then how to forcely install the software update.

2. What can we configure to ensure the security updates are available in Self Service so users can install them? Or is there a way that security updates will happen automatically?

5 REPLIES 5

Geelcey
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hey, there are many ways to achieve this, none of which are right or wrong! I have included a document which may help you decide the best way. I prefer to add a point update to self service and give a deferral limit on the policy for users to update, once the time is up the update will commence however this is something that should maybe be campaigned via an email within the company too so end users are aware.

Have a look at this document it may be really usefull.

https://resources.jamf.com/documents/technical-papers/Deploying-macOS-Upgrades-with-Jamf-Pro.pdf

Gary

harsha
New Contributor III

Hi Geelcey,

1. There is a defer to software update for 30 days in configuration profiles(in the document), after the 30 days, the software update will update automatically or it wont update?

2. In the document there is "Updating macOS by Sending a Mass Action Command" in this users should have "Enrolled via Automated Device Enrollment" option or what is this means? the below picture show what present for my system. Can i use this function(technique) or not?

harsha_0-1633961184508.png

Geelcey
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hey,

The deferral would work like a normal update, allowing the users to then go ahead and update their machines natively through macOS. For Unsupervised devices (this is devices enrolled via user initiated enrolment and not via ADE) I would recommend creating a policy for updating

https://docs.jamf.com/best-practice-workflows/jamf-pro/managing-macos-updates/Running_Software_Updat...

I would cache the installer first silently on all machines and then use the policy to kick it off (enforced at a specific time or via self service if you would like the user to choose)

Cheers,

Gary

harsha
New Contributor III

Hi Geelcey,

I need to do an force update after certain days? How can I do it?

In profiles-->restrictions-->def software update-->30 days(it means when there is an software update, the users will get the update after 30 days? Is it right?)

harsha
New Contributor III

Hi geelcey,

May I know what makes the user-interaction in policies?(1 day,5 hours etc)

In profiles-->restrictions-->def software update-->30 days(it means when there is an software update, the users will get the update(notification) after 30 days? Is it right?)