Frustrating VPP assignments

bbelew
Contributor

Anyone know if there is a specific reason why you can't target certain fields on a Smart User group? For example - Room and/or other Smart Device groups? Or a work around?

I have elementary iPads tagged to a room, and setup in a smart group. But now to do VPP assignments I have to create another group....

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

nnewport
New Contributor III

I'm not seeing anything in user smart groups for room. We've never used the room field so I never noticed it. Have you looked into the new device based deployment? I believe you could scope those to your device smart groups if you are using iOS 9.

bbelew
Contributor

I haven't even figured out the device based yet, I figured it still had to go through the User VPP portion to some degree. Are the options hiding under mobile devices somewhere?

Thanks!

nnewport
New Contributor III

You actually have to go to your VPP Accounts in Global Management and check the Populate Purchased Content Box. That will then bring the apps over to the Mobile Devices>Apps page. Once there, you can then assign to devices with no Apple ID's needed as long as they are on iOS 9. You will also need the new version of Casper.

I've had some issues where the apps don't auto pull over to Mobile Devices>Apps page, but usually when I have had that app in there at one point and deleted it out in the past.

nnewport
New Contributor III

Also, to assign the app there you have to check a box and select the vpp account to use for the licensing under the vpp tab of the app. This is probably confusing but I can post photos if you want.

I have ran into one app so far that does not support this new device deployment method. I've tried it with about 30 apps and they have all seemed to work fine. You can have them show in Self Service or auto install and I've done both on Carts and library iPads.