FUT and FEU Basics

alex_drinkwater
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm new to Casper (hi) and I'm a bit confused about the Policy FUT and FEU options.

Do I just use Composer to capture user-level preferences etc. from whatever account I'm logged into, then create a DMG from the result, or do I have to place user items in a particular place?

Is it possible to mix user files and non-user in the same DMG?

Sorry for the silly questions, but this doesn't seem to be covered in the Casper manual.

Cheers,

a|x

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

First off, welcome!
Everything you asked is correct. You just package the captured items from whatever account you're logged in as, and Casper simply uses the home directory as a wildcard when it deploys them down instead of the actual home directory, so long as you keep it in DMG format.
And yes, you can include non user level files/folders along with user level ones. The FEU/FUT options only apply to anything in the /Users/ path, so something being dropped to say, /Applications/ will just be treated as is and placed into the Applications folder.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

First off, welcome!
Everything you asked is correct. You just package the captured items from whatever account you're logged in as, and Casper simply uses the home directory as a wildcard when it deploys them down instead of the actual home directory, so long as you keep it in DMG format.
And yes, you can include non user level files/folders along with user level ones. The FEU/FUT options only apply to anything in the /Users/ path, so something being dropped to say, /Applications/ will just be treated as is and placed into the Applications folder.

alex_drinkwater
New Contributor

Thanks for the super-fast reply, and the welcome!

That's great, it's really simple then. Excellent!

Thanks again,

a|x

Kprice
New Contributor III

@alex_drinkwater Welcome aboard! If MM270 had the right answer, give him some Jamf Nation love and mark his post as the Answer.

alex_drinkwater
New Contributor

Hi Kprice, thanks for the tip. Done now.

Cheers,

a|x

scottb
Honored Contributor

Welcome @alex_drinkwater. This place is great - the docs are good, but never cover all the things we need to know and learn. However, there is no better place than JN! The sharing and help is unparalleled anywhere.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@alex_drinkwater @mm2270 this is an old post im looking at but it's something similar that i'm looking to currently do.

Alex - when you dragged the plist files into composer did you then change any of the resulting permissions for those folders/files or did you just leave them alone and pressed to create the DMG?

is the account that you dragged the plist from also an account on other computers that the DMG gets installed on?

so if you dragged the plist files into Composer with a user named BOB and BOB is not on any of the computers that the DMG gets installed on, what happens? Will the computer that gets the DMG get a new user account on it called BOB?

PiyushVerma
New Contributor III

Hi @tcandela ,

I guess you need to change the permission to Root and Wheel. Also need to select FUT in your case 

Technical Architect