FYI - Invalid Message - The message could not be parsed.

ftiff
Contributor

FYI

Just got this error on all my machines after editing a policy.

jamf policy →

Mon Dec 07 14:45:17 My MacBook Pro jamf[909]: Enforcing management framework... Mon Dec 07 14:45:18 My MacBook Pro jamf[909]: Enforcing scheduled tasks... Mon Dec 07 14:45:18 My MacBook Pro jamf[909]: Removing existing launchd task /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.jamfsoftware.task.1.plist... Mon Dec 07 14:45:18 My MacBook Pro jamf[909]: Adding launchd task com.jamfsoftware.task.1... Mon Dec 07 14:45:19 My MacBook Pro jamf[909]: Creating launch daemon... Mon Dec 07 14:45:19 My MacBook Pro jamf[909]: Creating launch agent... Mon Dec 07 14:45:19 My MacBook Pro jamf[954]: Informing the JSS about login for user schattc Mon Dec 07 14:45:21 My MacBook Pro jamf[954]: Informing the JSS about login for user schattc Mon Dec 07 14:45:21 Schatt's MacBook Pro jamf[966]: Checking for policies triggered by "recurring check-in"... Mon Dec 07 14:45:23 My MacBook Pro jamf[966]: There was an error. Invalid Message - The message could not be parsed.

How I troubleshot this:

1. Rolled by my policy to the original data → same issue
  2. Went to https://jss/changeManagementLogs.html to replay my changes

I then clicked on 'details' and noticed this:

Distribution Point ID -1

I then deducted it's because I don't have any Distribution point configured.

For the story, here's why:
- my JSS was destroyed by the ops team by mistake (it’s a sandbox, no worries)
- I setup a new one with same address and credential
- overnight, AutoPkg pushed his package on the distribution point and the JSS
- but I didn’t configure the distribution point on the JSS (hence the code "Distribution Point ID -1")
- now that I have setup the distribution point again, it works

Key takeaway is: Use https://jss/changeManagementLogs.html

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

bentoms
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

@ftiff -1 is correct as per this.

It means the JSS allocates a DP, but with no DP in the JSS... Yep that'll not work.

View solution in original post

ftiff
Contributor
5 REPLIES 5

bentoms
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

@ftiff -1 is correct as per this.

It means the JSS allocates a DP, but with no DP in the JSS... Yep that'll not work.

View solution in original post

ftiff
Contributor

claven
New Contributor III

We had this error as well. Turns out the MacBook Air didn't have a Serial Number set. A quick session with AST and we're good to go.

jamesgreenMatte
New Contributor II

Ive seen this in our envrionment running 9.81. I have many distribution points but I can't undertsand why this is coming up. Also on this particular Mac, there are several cached packages that do not list on the JSS inventory. It just shows 5 cached packages. a366db1a618d473ca8589b19d0e85b83

sepiemoini
Contributor III

Getting the same Invalid Message - The message could not be parsed error here as well. I'm a Jamf Cloud customer with a Cloud Distribution Point (setup as master) and no File Distribution Point configured, so a bit different from @ftiff's original issue. When verifying the details at https://jss/changeManagementLogs.html, the Distribution Point ID value was set to -1. I assume this is the case due to the Cloud Distribution Point. Is anyone able to provide some insight here?