Garageband 10.3.5

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Since we are not moving to Big Sur anytime soon, I wanted to keep pushing the older version of Garageband 10.3.5. Trying to find a way to push this with VPP instead of the newest version but not having much success. Since the release of 10.4.1 VPP wants to push that to all the computers to upgrade them but its not compatible. Wondering if I can just change the version number and turn off auto updates.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Some what Solved...you can just add another app to the mac app store apps with the same info, I changed the version number to the older one and turned off updates and set it to self service which then installs the older Garageband from VPP.

EDIT: Although this is merely a workaround for this issue. I have a post at the bottom of this thread with the better solution

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

View solution in original post

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Actually just had Jamf fix this in our cloud server by installing a knob in our SQL database that turns off the "compatibility check" for apps which then just pushes the correct version of that app for that specific system regardless of what version you have in the Jamf Mac App Store Apps section.

Just open a ticket with Jamf to fix this. Not sure why anyone would want it to not install, not sure what this "feature" is supposed to do.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Some what Solved...you can just add another app to the mac app store apps with the same info, I changed the version number to the older one and turned off updates and set it to self service which then installs the older Garageband from VPP.

EDIT: Although this is merely a workaround for this issue. I have a post at the bottom of this thread with the better solution

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

eforstne
New Contributor

Could you explain how exactly you did this? I followed the steps but the link in self service just takes you to the app store to download the new version.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

@eforstne So I duplicated the entry for Garageband in the Mac App Store Apps section in Jamf, then on the duplicate I set it to self service instead of install automatically, then changed the version number to the one I wanted. I could be wrong, but it seems to be working. Again wish we didn't have to do this and wish that it would only push the compatible version of the app to whatever we scope to.

Let me know if this works for you.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

f0cabcf3561a4e89a14ecb70ee788f59

302973f3ba134c4d9110f989c4029175

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

TomDay
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Thx for sharing @gshackney , we got hit with this too, this worked perfectly!

rocrusso
New Contributor II

This same issue just came up for me today, thanks for sharing @gshackney

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

I just wish I could tell it to only send out the older version automatically instead of keeping it a self service install.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

TomDay
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Well I guess you really could do that. Create a smartgroup for macos 10.15machines (and below if needed), and scope this GB 10.3.5 App to just that group with "automatically install"?

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Let me know if that works if you test it. In my testing it seems to only load the older version if it's run through self service, but i'd love it to work that way. If I tried to force it automatically it tried to install just the new version again.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

eforstne
New Contributor

I ended up just logging into the app store and going to purchases and installed from there, it said i needed Big Sur but could download the old version. It downloaded 10.3.5 and i used composer to make a package from that version and then i uploaded the pkg to jamf and pushed it out that way.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

@eforstne Does that still show as a managed app install when you bundle it in composer and push it out with VPP?
Also noticing another issue where some apps show as partially installed. Trying to see if the self service piece fixes the broken app or if I have to delete it first. Also need to see if I can make a smart group for machines without the full app installed.
Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

singhmeith75
New Contributor II

I am also getting the same issue :(

eforstne
New Contributor

@gshackney It does not as the vpp is looking for the newest version. I created a policy that runs one at login that installs the pkg.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Actually just had Jamf fix this in our cloud server by installing a knob in our SQL database that turns off the "compatibility check" for apps which then just pushes the correct version of that app for that specific system regardless of what version you have in the Jamf Mac App Store Apps section.

Just open a ticket with Jamf to fix this. Not sure why anyone would want it to not install, not sure what this "feature" is supposed to do.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Konneck
New Contributor

Hello, 

Found this post doing a google search. Nice one! 

Do you know a way to download pervious versions of GarageBand for mac0S 10.13.6~10.14.6? 

If not, and since Apple won’t make available previous download versions, do you know where I can find them and their full contents?

Thanks,

Konneck