Getting Apple Updates to deploy

bennumo
New Contributor II

I'm struggling to get Apple Updates to deploy such as Mac OS and Mac App Store Apps. I realize OS and Apps are two different monsters. For OS, I'll hold off for now and just focus on Mac App Store Apps. I have created a ticket that's currently on hold until the next round of Apps are updated by apple at the end of the month. Here's my situation:

I have a new jamf cloud deployment with a small number of devices. I have registered with DEP and VPP. I have Jamf configured for both and I'm showing the correct number of licenses (although all I'm trying at this point is the basic stuff: Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie.) I can even see the Apps are showing as deployed on devices, etc. I can use the Force updates to make the apps deploy manually. However, when I add in a new machine to jamf management (whether using our existing methods: DEP Prestage or using the Composer *.pkg method) these apps will not automatically update until I intervene using the Force button in Jamf. My users can't manually update them because I'm skipping the Apple ID registration on purpose. Plus, I don't want my users to have to worry about it. The devices show the update is needed and the jamf inventory shows the apps are not up to date, I just can't get this last mile to work.

Any suggestions / questions?

Edit: Yes, site is set to None for everything - jamf support suggested that. I've tried a new site that I configured on everything and I tried None. Neither configuration changed the behavior.

1 REPLY 1

crbeck
Contributor

I have a similar issue with the Mac App Store Apps. In the Jamf 10.2.0 release notes known issues section, they mention a product issue although for me the product issue seems to be regardless of distribution method. Forcing the update works but it force closes the app for anyone that has it open so that it can immediately update.

[PI-002791] Mac App Store apps do not update automatically when the distribution method is set to “Install Automatically/Prompt Users to Install” and the Automatically update app checkbox is selected.