Getting Killed: 9 when running createinstallmedia for Sierra

mbezzo
Contributor III

Hi All,
Wondering if anybody else is seeing this. On two Macs running Sierra - one is on latest 10.12.1 beta, I'm getting a Killed: 9 error when trying to create USB install media using createinstallmedia command:

$ sudo /Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install macOS Sierra --applicationpath /Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app
Ready to start.
To continue we need to erase the disk at /Volumes/Install macOS Sierra.
If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: Y
Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%...100%...
Copying installer files to disk...
Killed: 9

I can run the command over and over, sometimes it is killed immediately, other times after a few mins. Can't find a single thing in the logs about this. Any ideas? Just me?

Thanks!
Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mbezzo
Contributor III

ID10T error... I have it as a restricted App and excluded my username.... but it wasn't actually excluding it. Added the machine name and all is well. It's interesting because it doesn't pop up the message dialog I have in place when this command is run through the terminal.

Thanks all!
Matt

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mbezzo
Contributor III

ID10T error... I have it as a restricted App and excluded my username.... but it wasn't actually excluding it. Added the machine name and all is well. It's interesting because it doesn't pop up the message dialog I have in place when this command is run through the terminal.

Thanks all!
Matt

kevin_v
Contributor

Just wanted to say that 4+ years later - this helped me solve why I couldn't run installer commands of Big Sur, thanks!

jakeobie
New Contributor II

Hahaha....wow. Same here. I guess this coffee hasn't kicked in...

user-erAKZmgkkd
New Contributor

Hi sorry I'm a newbie, but I'm encountering the same problem. What exactly do I need to type on the terminal for this? How and where shall I include my machine name in the command line? Thank you!

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

@user-erAKZmgkkd

Are you trying to create a bootable installer of an macOS?

Take a look at the following guide from Apple:
How to create a bootable installer for macOS

stephanpeterson
Contributor

We're seeing this on some systems too. We do have a Restricted Software policy in place but I've verified that the Mac in question is excluded from it and I've run "jamf manage" on the Mac to make sure it picks up the exclusion. Further, in the Jamf Pro console it does not list the relevant Restricted Software policy for that Mac. I can even run the createinstallmedia command without any flags. It immediately says "Killed: 9".