Google Drive App

ChrisRupert
Release Candidate Programs Tester

So I just encountered this this morning and I'm wondering if anyone else can replicate the issue? Google Drive updated yesterday (4.2017.37510). It's working on iPad Air 2's and newer iOS's (10.X and 11.X) but the issue I'm running into is the app is failing to install on iPad 2's running 9.3.5. The app appears and it's darkened out, if you click it, it will say installing and it appears to install and then it says this app is unable to download at this time. It gives you the option to click done (right back to darkened out app) or retry where it tries to redownload the app and it fails.

The app is managed and pushed to all devices. I tried excluding the app from the iPad 2's and then re-adding it and it fails. I also wiped the device and it also fails. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Google updated their Drive app to be 64-bit only. This cuts off support for iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad 4 which are all 32-bit. This seems overly aggressive on Google's part. We've been heavily impacted by this as we still have about 5000 iPad 4's in student hands.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Google updated their Drive app to be 64-bit only. This cuts off support for iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad 4 which are all 32-bit. This seems overly aggressive on Google's part. We've been heavily impacted by this as we still have about 5000 iPad 4's in student hands.

ChrisRupert
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Just got off chat with JAMF support and they confirmed the same thing. That stinks that they killed it off.

gabolins
New Contributor

I am wondering if this is the case with Google Chrome as well. I am in the processing of wiping some devices due to student tampering and Google Chrome is not installing either.

egjerde
New Contributor III

For what it's worth, Google just did a massive overhaul of their Drive product - on both the personal and enterprise side of things. on the desktop the legacy drive client is EOL this December if I recall correctly, and everyone needs to move to Backup and Sync (the personal client) or Google Drive File Stream (enterprise).

We just completed a File Stream migration at my work and it's really a slick product. But if you have that many clients using the old platform (or needing it) you could always get in touch with your regional google rep and see what they can do for you. Tell them you'll be forced to migrate them to Dropbox instead :)

CGundersen
Contributor III

Also disappointed that adding Smart Group exclusion (for above hardware) doesn't seem to remove app after it becomes stuck updating. W/ a restriction in place to disallow removal of apps, this is a pretty bad place to be.

CairoJXP
Contributor

Just noticed this issue today while trying to restore a backup to a loaner device. I'm shocked as well they pulled the 32bit version as if people aren't still using earlier models. At least make it available for download for 32bit systems! It's a bit appalling. We have our 8th graders on iPad 4s and now drive is becoming a bust in ways.

CairoJXP
Contributor

We're calling Google to complain and hoping if enough institutions or what not call them, maybe they'll make the 32bit version available in the app store again.

PassSetCrush
New Contributor

Yes, over the past few days, more and more students are losing access to their Google Drive Apps via their iPad 2s. We're using Meraki to push the apps to our school's devices and we're noticing that the Drive app will appear to be installing, then it will stop, go "grey", and the message "Unable to Download App" appears. If the above is true that Google made their Drive App 64-bit, then how soon before they do that to the rest of their Apps (Docs, Sheets, Slides, Classroom)? And will the students lose those Apps as well? This is very disturbing - we have over 300 devices that our students use.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

If you are using the App Store, you'll be given the option to download the last compatible version. If you're using an MDM command, however, the app download will fail.

Apple has acknowledged their part of the problem and has said they are planning a solution. There is no ETA on the solution.

I have heard nothing back from Google except that I can submit a feature request to add 32-bit support back.
https://connect.googleforwork.com/community/customers/apps/feature-ideas

andy_cauble
New Contributor III

I think this thread might be enough reason alone to warrant a feature request for Jamf to add a dislike button to Jamfnation. Jokes aside, This is a huge problem for us too. We still have about 3-4 district wide grade levels with devices that will be running into this problem. I hope Apple gets it fixed soon.

JayDuff
Contributor II

Have a look at this Google Support Forum discussion.

I think it's gonna start getting lively in there!

750 iPad 4s here. All kindergarten and 1st grade. Google Photos and Classroom still work, thank jah.

CairoJXP
Contributor

I tried multiple iTunes accounts on multiple iPad 4 models. Somehow, one of our itunes accounts had a version on it that installed successfully on 10.3.3 whereas other accounts didn't work. Very bizarre... I've spoken to Apple and they are aware as well. Google kind of said "tough luck" when I spoke to them.

jwatts
New Contributor

I would like to propose that this thread should not be marked as solved as there is no solution to the problem as of yet. Yes there is an answer to what is going on but no solution.

To the JAMF folks, is there any way to roll back the JSS to an earlier version of the app? This could be a temporary workaround until the big dogs do something.

Thanks

Lipinski
New Contributor

We were able to install Google Drive on an iPad running 9.3.5 today. The issue is resolved? Thank you.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

I received word that this issue is resolved. Our 32-bit iPads now download the old 32-bit version of Google Drive. I am guessing this was an Apple fix, but Jamf could have been involved as well.

rmsipads
New Contributor

Mine aren't working yet. Any details?

christina_luis
Contributor

@cbrewer - can you give us details on how to do this? I currently have a stack of iPads that need to be wiped, but I am hesitant due to the loss of Google Drive our 2nd biggest app.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

@christina_luis Nothing special to making it work. When your iPad attempts to install Google Drive via an MDM request to do so, it'll grab an older version automatically if needed.

christina_luis
Contributor

Ok Here is what just happened with Me. Jamf said that the version of app isn't something that they control. They are just the middle man. So I wiped a 4th Gen iPad and reinstalled everything. Google Drive has released a new version: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-drive/id507874739?mt=8 Google Drive version 4.2017.42104
It is backward compatible to iOS 9.

This is why it now works. I was able to successfully open the Google Drive app on an iOS 10.3.3 iPad 4th Gen. I hope this information helps others.