Has anyone actually gotten a sync between Apple School Manager and JSS to work?

aklevorn
New Contributor

Or is it a mythical thing, like Big Foot? Been working on it for two months, and not getting much forward progress.

9 REPLIES 9

aklevorn
New Contributor

The sync between our SIS (PowerSchool in this case) and ASM seems to be working fine. It's the next step that's been failing for a while.

MattAebly
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hey Andy,

Are you referring to the integration of Jamf Pro and ASM? Do we have syncing set up in Settings > Mobile Device Management > Apple Education Support > Apple School Manager? If we have syncing set up, we also need to do the importing. Syncing brings the information from ASM into your database. Importing is creating the link of your roster tables in the database and these objects such as user_object and classrooms tables.

If you want to import users, you can do a blank search in the users tab and then click into the import button. It's important for users to make sure matching is set up correctly to prevent duplicate users if you have users existing in your Jamf Pro instance. For classes, in Mobile Devices > Classes, there is an import button in there.

You can certainly reach out to support and we'll be able to help you complete the steps for a full integration.

Matt

mikedawson
New Contributor

I have the integration set up but when I sync, some of the classes coming in from ASM obtain different Class Names and Class Numbers in JAMF. All the other information is correct. Latest issue; today it won't finish syncing. It has been "pending" for 2 hours.

jenbethstew
New Contributor

I know this post is a year ago, but I have been struggling with a similar issue since November. UP until then, I have had NO issues. All of a sudden, when I update my CSV files in ASM, and it updates, and then I force sync in JAMF (like I am supposed to), the changes do not show up. I have tried it like a dozen times, uploaded server logs to both JAMF and ASM so they could try to see the issue, turned off my filtering service, done a web share to walk both of them through what I am doing, and still nothing will change. SOMETHING is happening in the transfer, but nobody can tell me what.

mickgrant
Contributor III

@jenbethstew after running your sync in settings you then need to go to the classes tab and click the import button in the top right, this will the create your new classes and users based on the data you synced from ASM

nfc
New Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem : I updated in ASM my classes, then forced Sync - but when I go in Classes -> Import : it's the old classes and users that are shown...

Anyone to help?
Thanks

christina_luis
Contributor

Hi @nfc It may take a cycle in order for your changes to show. The systems have to talk and that doesn't happen instantaneously. I make my changes, have my boss hit the sync button and then check again tomorrow or later in the day. This usually works for me.

amy_tyler
New Contributor

Sometimes if you log out and log back in it seems to work. If you just play the waiting game it will load eventually. Usually I can upload in the morning and get the info in ASM by the afternoon. But the sync has been buggy for a while now. There hasn't been any actual fixes that have happened in the last month.

bfrench
Contributor III

Even though the sync and forced sync do not show any errors - there is still a problem - in our case it was the time of our Jamf server being a few minutes off. Once that was corrected the next forced sync brought in the missing classes to import.