Have to always enter password when imaging with 8.6

nathanrobertson
New Contributor

Both the Casper Imaging and Composer from the Casper Suite 8.6 state "Casper Imaging wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this." every time either is run on the same machine. With 8.5 this would happen on the first run then not ask again.

I have tried everything I can thing of including changing to root and running the application. Any ideas on how to make these stop asking for a local user password?

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

The behavior you're describing is SOP for Composer. It needs to read into normally protected areas of your OS while doing before/after snapshots, so it needs to escalate its own privileges. I don't know there's a way around that.

For Casper Imaging, when its run from a Netboot set or other imaging OS that logs into the root account, this won't come up, because its already run as root. If you're just running it as a standard local admin, again, it needs root access, so there is no easy way around that.

I have never seen a case where Composer would not ask for your account password, going back years now. That is always the way it has worked unless my memory is failing me.
I can't be sure with Casper imaging, since I don't use it and haven't really worked with it in a while now.

Why exactly is this a problem?

nathanrobertson
New Contributor

Composer may have always worked that way. It was the only other application I noticed that was having that behavior. The Casper Imaging did not have that issue for us with the previous Casper Suite.

The Casper resource kit plugin for the System Image Utility does not seem to work with 10.8 Netboot images so I'm attempting to set it up manually and running into this password problem.

If you know of any way to get the Configure Casper for Netboot to work that would help or even a way to manually configure a netboot image to auto start imaging.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Ah that makes more sense.

You want your NetBoot Image to be logged in as root.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

If you're manually creating a Netboot image, make sure you enable the root account on the image, log into it and set the auto-login preferences to log into root when the OS boots up.
Next, copy Casper Imaging into /Applications, launch it to create the plist file that points it to your JSS.
Then place Casper Imaging in the root account's Login Items under the accounts tab.

While logged in as root, you shouldn't run into any password prompts just to launch the app. You'll still need to authenticate to your JSS, unless you set up either Pre-Stage imaging or Auto run with the credentials set up there.