having *MAJOR* issue doing in-place upgrade using Casper Suite.

justin
New Contributor

I've dragged and dropped the installer from the App store into our JSS, created a policy to cache the package, and created a self-service policy to run the cached install. what im finding is that the machine runs the install, and then upon boot, freezes with 50% on the status bar. I've even gone ahead and restarted and tried to install from the recovery mode, and the machine still no longer boots. this has happened on the 3 machines that i've used to test.

has anyone else experienced anything like this? kind of freaking out, because after successfully running the installer on a couple machines, i went ahead and tested on an "eager" user, and now his machine is inoperable.

it's happened on various machines, 15" Retina macbook pro, 13" macbook air, and a 15" 2011 macbook pro (that i had laying around to test with) I've tried decrypting the drive from recovery mode, and it's still booting 50% and then will not boot any further.

10 REPLIES 10

johnnasset
Contributor

What version of OS X? Sounds like some other users are experiencing freezing on boot with Yosemite:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=12589

mattbomarc1
New Contributor

I have seen the same issue. About half of the time resetting the PRAM resolves. The other times, I have to remove the user from FileVault, reboot and then re-add them. Happens on about 10% of our machines only after upgrading from OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite.

justin
New Contributor

definitely similar, the machines are encrypted but they are not bound to active directory or anything like that, and so far it appears a PRAM/SMC reset does nothing.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Can you boot into single-user mode and see if there are login items? Maybe a login item is hanging things up.

justin
New Contributor

hey Emily, i did try to boot in verbose (and single user) and the error i see is "register_decmpfs_decompressor 0: CMP_Type7 failed: 17" -- unfortunately the only information that comes up when i look for people having that same error are hackintoshes, and a chinese page i translated that basically said "formatting and re-installing fixed it."

looks like im basically screwed, I followed the process to a 't' but it simply did not work as it was supposed to. I've managed to move the user accounts and re-installed/manually migrated and i've got a working laptop again.... i'll have to do that with the rest as well.

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

https://twitter.com/bruienne/status/542865838362361856

Might help

BruceLM
New Contributor

We're suddenly seeing this same issue on just about every Mac here that's attempting to upgrade. Had over 80 macs successfully upgrade with no issue up to now and in the last two days we've seen three macbooks who attempted to upgrade experience this.

We tried the cache purge with no success.

Can someone confirm that if you decrypt prior to upgrade this problem will not appear on reboot and a subsequent reencrypt succeeds with normal boot afterwards?

andrew
New Contributor

I am also experiencing this issue.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

I had to help someone who had this happen to them while off-prem… I had him boot into the Recovery HD and turn off Wifi, then reboot and it eventually logged him in.

Might want to try upgrading to 10.10.3 once you get the machine to boot to see if the update fixes the issue.

krispayne
Contributor

I'm having these issues on 10.10.5. So far it's happened on an iMac and a MacBook Pro retina.

One issue I see is this:
dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/vecLib

Other times, its pci pause: SDXC

The fixes I've tried are, PRAM, SMC, removing Bootcache, fixing permissions, all the things I've found while searching DDG and Jamfnation.

I'm seriously at a loss. The topic died down after a while so I'm curious what fixes actually worked for people.

Fixes I tried:

Yosemite Macbooks stuck at 50% boot (Progress Bar) - mpebley's answer this I just tried to run in SU mode
Yosemite Macbooks stuck at 50% boot (Progress Bar) - Kaltsas' answer
Yosemite OSX iMac reboot progress bar stuck at 50% - Stack Exchange
Duck Duck Go search for error on iMac