Having trouble getting time machine backups working via config profile

EmDee
New Contributor III

Hello all,

After configuring a basic time machine setup

Mac OS server running on Mac Pro with Sierra

Setting up a Time Machine Configuration profile with the time machine folder address that I can navigate to across the network via smb (smb://mycompany.com/Timemachine)

With folder restrictions set, and a size limit of 25gb

The configuration profile logs show 'completed' on my test machine - but no backup ever initiates, and nothing is backed up to the folder

Is there any other setting I need to apply? Do I need to input a managed preferences configuration and set 'enable time machine' in conjunction with the config profile?

PS: I am aware TM isn't the best enterprise resource for backing up, but it's what I will have to make do with for now

3 REPLIES 3

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Does time machine get switched on on the client once the profile is deployed? If it doesn't, you might need to send a command like tmutil enable via a policy as an extra step.

EmDee
New Contributor III

@davidacland Hey - it doesn't, however I THINK that by configuring the managed preferences option and scoping it to the desired machine it worked - in-between I did also run tmutil enable, so I am not sure what did it. I will test with another machine, thanks for the reply!

jskidmore
New Contributor III

Try making the shared folder to the Time Machine destination available via AFP. Configure the backup server path as afp://