Having trouble with a script to install or update apps

jclements
New Contributor III

I am testing mm2270's UpdateCoreApps script and am having trouble with a few parts of it.

Some parts are working like VLC. However, I'm getting the following errors when I try to install/update:

Firefox:
[Stage 1]: Determining current version of Firefox...
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
stuff removed
We have internet access, but couldn't pull version information for Firefox.

Java:
[Stage 1]: Generating UserAgent string...
[Stage 2]: Determining current version of Oracle Java...
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
stuff removed
We have internet access, but couldn't pull version information for Oracle Java.

Silverlight:
[Stage 1]: Determining current version of Flash Player...
Error when getting the download information

Do I need to update the download urls?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Hey @jclements That script is ancient and I have not updated it in years. I wouldn't use it. In fact, I'm going to remove it from my github pages so others don't run across it and it try to use it.

I don't necessarily advocate using scripts anymore to pull down updates for most programs. A few I still toy with, but it's not really the safest method to use. I'd really look to Jamf Pro's Patch Management/Patch Policies feature now, even though it's still going through growing pains.

If you really want to use scripts, there are more up to date ones posted on this site on various threads. I don't have the time right now to locate them and post links, but if you search for them you should find them.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Hey @jclements That script is ancient and I have not updated it in years. I wouldn't use it. In fact, I'm going to remove it from my github pages so others don't run across it and it try to use it.

I don't necessarily advocate using scripts anymore to pull down updates for most programs. A few I still toy with, but it's not really the safest method to use. I'd really look to Jamf Pro's Patch Management/Patch Policies feature now, even though it's still going through growing pains.

If you really want to use scripts, there are more up to date ones posted on this site on various threads. I don't have the time right now to locate them and post links, but if you search for them you should find them.

jclements
New Contributor III

I haven't yet tried out the patch management stuff but I'll give it a try. Thanks for the quick reply!