Help !! inventory preload question..

Aryanna
New Contributor

Reading the documentation about this feature, I'm trying to understand how this works. Seems simple enough, but it's confusing how Jamf implemented this. I believe once the proper CSV file is uploaded, most data is not loaded until an inventory update is run? Is that per a device? ("Computer and mobile device data, including the device location, is applied on an ongoing basis each time inventory is collected".) Also it seems it always takes the preload data over any changes. I.E. If I have a department set for a computer in inventory preload, inventory update is run, then edit the department in user and location page, at the next inventory update the department will be overwritten with the department from inventory preload, is that correct?
Also the inventory preload does seem to load until the computer is enrolled? When uploading the CSV it shows up in activate data, but the computer is nowhere to be found in when searching inventory.

jcpenneykiosk login

3 REPLIES 3

alexduffner
New Contributor III

@Aryanna wrote:

I believe once the proper CSV file is uploaded, most data is not loaded until an inventory update is run?

Yes.

@Aryanna wrote:

Is that per a device? ("Computer and mobile device data, including the device location, is applied on an ongoing basis each time inventory is collected".)

Yes.

@Aryanna wrote:

I.E. If I have a department set for a computer in inventory preload, inventory update is run, then edit the department in user and location page, at the next inventory update the department will be overwritten with the department from inventory preload, is that correct?

Also Yes.

@Aryanna wrote:

Also the inventory preload does seem to load until the computer is enrolled? When uploading the CSV it shows up in activate data, but the computer is nowhere to be found in when searching inventory.

Inventory preload is just to "preload" the inventory data. Inventory is created by enroll the computer and then filled by the inventory collection (and enriched by the preload data). 

As you see your questions answer nearly themselves.

See the documentation for further information 

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

You can also pre-load EA's which can be helpful. If there's anything that might change frequently you should leave it out of the preload. If there's something you need to change infrequently you can just upload a CSV file with that one change, no need to upload everything over again (I'm pretty sure).

FutureFacinLuke
Contributor II

I'm trying to import over 3000 iPad Asset numbers, any idea if there's a maximum number of devices per file?