Hide Passwords Pane i and hide wiping machine option in system preference using script

tegus232
Contributor

So I have a request for assistance for 2 things.

Is there a script or configuration to either lock or hide the Passwords Pane in the macos12 version?

I have the same question above but for the erasing all contents option in the dropdown located in system prefs in macos12? Specifically, I don't want the admins to interact with it in any shape or form.

Any assistance is appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

Hi, yes there is a configuration profile setting to block both the Password pane and the Erase all content option.

In Configuration profile select Restrictions. To disable the Password option go to Preferences section. Select "disable selected items" button and select Passwords. Then to disable Erase all Content option go to Functionality and look towards the bottom. 

tegus232
Contributor

So the issue is the above doesn't work. we have tried blocking via configuration and doesn't work. and for a FUnctionality standpoint, we have tried it but I don't want the user to see this option at all. it only disables where an admin password is required.

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

As far as I know, you can't hide that option. At best it disables it. You can open a case with Jamf Support to see what they say.

Fluffy
Contributor III

I tested this in Jamf School, where I would expect it to be the same internal process, and it worked. Unticking the box for Erase Content and Settings made the option disappear. With the box ticked to 'allow' required admin password.

To me, it sounds like either your configuration profile is not taking effect or the device is not communicating properly with Jamf. Hopefully this helped.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

We've been trying to disable the Password Preference Pane in macOS Monterey, but haven't had any luck either.

Curious if anyone has been able to since this thread ended?

--
https://donmontalvo.com

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III